The creative struggle affects us all

The mountain of creativity can be a tough one to climb. It seems impossible at times to come up with a good idea that you can run with. Even now I have a solid idea for this column, yet I just can’t seem to climb that mountain. 

It’s happened to me plenty before in the past and I’m positive this won’t be the last time I stare blankly at my screen in contemplation. But, if anything, a block in creativity can be somewhat motivating.

Despite the intense frustration, and sometimes pure anger, these blocks can cause; it can be pretty fulfilling to come up with a solution. Sometimes these ideas pleasantly present themselves quite quickly after running face first into a creativity block. Other times, those light bulbs don’t light up for quite a good amount of time. 

Just recently, I had a bunch of ideas pop into my head for a project I hadn’t worked on for at least half a year. It had surprised me because I am currently working on a different project and this fog of writer’s block lifted at the most unusual time. It’s happened to me many times academically and non academically, and I’m sure you’ve had those moments as well. 

It’s mysterious how the human mind can be so active at times, yet completely blank at others. Moments like this haunt my dreams at night because writer’s block is like the boogeyman. It hides in the dark corners of your mind, waiting to strike at the most inopportune times.

As an artist, you love to come up with original ideas and execute them. Yet, when your own mind is holding you back, it can oftentimes feel pretty awful. Even in a world where good ideas are present nearly everywhere in society, it can be hard to get inspired. 

At times I’ve taken breaks entirely to get my creative streak back in motion and it can be hard to generate new ideas. But, recently, in times where my creativity has seemingly disappeared for the moment, I’ve thought of a famous quote by Pablo Picasso. “Good artists copy, great artists steal.” 

Sounds pretty bad on the surface, but in practice it isn’t as horrible as it sounds on paper. Now I’m not telling you to outright plagiarize famous artists or authors, but don’t be afraid to experiment with their ideas. Use their ideas to get the cogs turning in your own head. 

Artists can draw inspiration from almost anywhere and it can be a great tool to simply view others’ pieces. I’ve overlooked it in the past, but it’s hard to deny how effective it has been for me personally in my own creative writing. Plot points in shows and movies I’ve watched in the past have single handedly pulled me out of creative slumps. 

Now, of course, I didn’t completely copy those ideas onto paper, but the act of consuming others’ content can be a great way to kickstart your brain’s creative side. Don’t be afraid of experimenting with ideas that have already been used, because sometimes those ideas can take you to new heights. Get all the practice that you can to master your craft.

When wading through the wastelands of writer’s block, I’ve tended to either short circuit or survive just barely with last minute light bulb moments. It’s caused a lot of interesting moments and a lot of dull moments where I simply stare at my plain document, confused as to how I should begin. But it’s an obstacle that is extremely satisfying to overcome and can be a minor inconvenience at times. 

When you find yourself screeching to a halt in a creative funk, don’t forget that inspiration can be found almost anywhere. So go out and find it, but please just don’t plagiarize.