LMC named a top college 5 times in a row

Aspen Institute recognizes college’s success
President+Ralston+opens+the+discussion+to+reflect+on+accomplishments.+
Juan Cebreiros
President Ralston opens the discussion to reflect on accomplishments.

Among the Halloween festivities, Los Medanos College had a surprise celebration of its own to recognize its accomplishments. The Aspen Institute named LMC one of the 150 institutions for Community College Excellence, marking the fifth nomination in a row for the college. This recognition gives the college eligibility to compete for the nation’s signature $1 million Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence.

The award honors colleges based on set criteria according to the institute’s website. The six critical areas are: “teaching and learning, certificate and degree completion, transfer and bachelor’s attainment, workforce success, access, and equity for students of color and students from low-income backgrounds.” 

“We are overjoyed to be recognized once again by the Aspen Institute for the powerful and transformative educational experience that Los Medanos College provides our students and our community,” President Pamela Ralston said.

Hours after the college was named “in the top 10% of community colleges in America,” according to Ralston, a quick event was set at noon to share the news with the LMC community. Appetizers, candy and refreshments were provided for attendees who were able to come on short notice, consisting of participants both online and in person. The hour-long event featured the announcement, an open mic session led by Ralston and a video conclusion. 

The majority of the event consisted of faculty and staff reflecting on their contributions to the college’s success and performance which has been recognized five times. CalWORKs Coordinator Marques McCoy caught the attention of the audience when he noted the college’s continual recognition for one time as an “accident,” two times as a “streak” and three times as a “pattern,” in which the college hopes to continue in the future. 

Classified professionals emphasized how “phenomenal” and “outstanding” their work has been since they began. Speech Professor Marie Kaufman described the college as a “powerhouse” in expanding opportunities for students as well as their “push in online education.” In addition, PTEC Professor Michael Kean reflects on their success at “bringing everyone together” and McCoy notes how “all students have a story” that is important to the campus community. 

Ralston concluded the discussion with a round of applause and “thank you to all of us,” with a few in the crowd exclaiming “Go Mustangs.” 

LMC has been one out of the 1,000 institutions considered nationwide for the Aspen award, since 2017, by having high student success and equitable opportunities for persons of color and lower-income communities. Currently, the college is in the first round of the competition and will submit student success data and narratives to later be reviewed to name the Aspen Prize winner in spring 2025. 

“As community colleges face enrollment variations, enroll students with pandemic-related learning loss and graduate students into a rapidly changing labor market, it is easy to lose track of what matters most,” said Josh Wyner, executive director of the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program in LMC’s press release on the topic. “The best community colleges are continuing to focus on advancing the core mission: making sure as many students as possible graduate with credentials that lead to fulfilling careers and reflect the development of diverse talent that communities, states and our nation need.”