Goodbye to transfers

LMC celebrates leaving students with fun activities.

LMC%E2%80%99s+baseball+team+plays+with+the+inflatable+basketball+game+at+the+annual+Transfer+Celebration.+

Kai Arellano

LMC’s baseball team plays with the inflatable basketball game at the annual Transfer Celebration.

Katrina Anabo, Staff Writer

To wrap up the end of the semester with a bang, Los Medanos College Transfer Services hosted its annual Transfer Celebration Wednesday, May 2 to commemorate all LMC students who are transferring to their desired college in the fall of 2022. 

While transfer celebrations normally happen every year, the pandemic made it hard to get things up and running for the past two years. Now that coronavirus case numbers are lower, LMC Transfer Services was able to hold this event face-to-face again and Transfer Academy Counselor David Reyes is ecstatic. 

“We are extremely excited to hold this event in-person for all the LMC transfer students and graduates,” said Reyes. 

The mastermind of the event is Director of Transfer and Career Services Sandra Parsons, who coordinated this entire celebration.

“I have been planning this event for months,” said Parsons. “This is by far the biggest transfer celebration we have ever had and I am happy to be here.” 

This celebration took place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and was held outside at the quad on the Pittsburg campus. Plenty of music, food, games and activities made it an unforgettable experience for all graduate and transfer students.

A variety of stations with different food options for students to choose from, including a selection of hot dogs, chips, popcorn, candy and soda available for students to grab and munch on at any time during the event. The LMC Art Club also handed out goodie bags and ice-cream bars. 

Games such as ring toss, miniature golf, high striker, basketball and even a dunk tank beckoned students to let loose and have a great time. Photo booths and cap decorating stations were also set up inside the Student Union for transfer students to partake in as well. 

Many who attended came by to grab snacks, hang around the quad and play games with other fellow transfer and graduating students. But most importantly, students came to celebrate themselves for accomplishing such a huge milestone. 

LMC transfer student Brandon Zeidan is planning to transfer to San Francisco State University and feels accomplished through his journey at LMC. 

“Going to LMC for three years and finally transferring is definitely an accomplishment considering how hard it has been these past few years,” said Zeidan.