Students save, forms provided

Students going to the Los Medanos College Corner Bookstore looking for scantrons for tests and quizzes will now longer find them under the white and red sign that was formally hung from the ceiling. Teachers are now required to provide scantrons for their students beginning this semester.

With the California State Chancellor’s office revising the Student Fee Handbook, it is now prohibited to require students to partake in any kind of fee for scantrons since they are not considered to have any continuing value outside of the classroom.

“I think it will help the class get started on time,” said Andrew Murphy who explained that students running late for exams because of last minute scantron purchases have held up his classes. “It’s distracting because I come prepared to take the test, and I have to wait for other people to get the testing materials who were not prepared.”

All faculties who use cantons will now be required to order the testing forms from Central Services.

While the LMC Bookstore never made a huge profit on the sell of scantrons, that range from 20 cent for a single scantron of 15 questions to $1.75 for a package of 6 scantrons of 100 questions, there is a possibility that the lack of foot traffic will affect soda and candy sells.

“We probably will have reduced foot traffic,” said Robert Estrada, manager of the LMC Bookstore, “People come in and buy a soda or a candy bar when they come in to purchase a scantron. The profits of those items are something I’m going to be watching closely.”

LMC Supply Buyer Michelle McQuaid shared Estrada’s feelings that the lack of students coming in to buy scantrons might have an effect the profits off of other items.

“It may have an impact on our traffic, ”said McQuaid. “Especially in the evening when we notice students coming in to solely purchase a scantron.”

Although the LMC Bookstore will be looking for any differences in profits of soda and candy sales as a result of the lack of future foot traffic, Estrada stresses that the needs of students have always been more important than making a sale.

“It was not a money maker for us,” said Estrada. “Out of a concern and consideration for the student body, it was not something we were trying to make a profit on.”