Horan fills job of VP

fter a nationwide search and extensive recruitment process, Kevin Horan has been appointed vice president of instruction and student services for Los Medanos College.

Horan is replacing, Bruce Cutler, who has been at LMC for 22 years, and has spent the last three serving as vice president of business administration.

Currently, Horan is the executive dean for both the Diablo Valley College San Ramon Center, a position he has held for the past 6 years, and the Los Medanos College Brentwood Center, which just received center status. He has also held positions as director of campus affairs at California State University East Bay, and was director of student affairs at Samuel Merritt University.

Horan says that his experience working in higher education, and as executive dean of two colleges in the Contra Costa Community College District, has prepared him for his new role as vice president.

“It was the perfect training ground,” said Horan.

Under Horan’s leadership, Diablo Valley College San Ramon moved from a leased building to a college owned property, giving DVC San Ramon Center Status, an accomplishment that Horan considers to be one of the highlighting moments while serving as executive dean.

“I know that I’m leaving this institution in a better place then when I had arrived. It’s one of my proudest moments,” said Horan.

As vice president, Horan will be responsible for facilitating important discussions about the future of LMC, some of which may be difficult with more looming threats of budget cuts within community colleges of California, as well as over-seeing the direction of academic and student support programs at LMC.

According to Horan, the most important key to success is for students, staff, and faculty to work together to bring LMC to a united front.

“It is important for the college to come to a united vision,” explained Horan about his new position. “I hope to have a positive impact at the college, to build on the strengths that are already happening at the college, and to bring in new energy and optimism.”

With Horan moving from executive dean of the Brentwood Center to vice president, President Bob Kratochvil said finding  someone to assume the responsibilities of Executive Dean while keeping the focus on the students of Brentwood is top priority.

“It is critical that we maintain a focus on meeting the needs of both students seeking educational opportunities at the Brentwood Center and the faculty and staff that serve them,” stated Kratochvil. “Particularly in light of the growth and developments expected.”

Horan officially assumes duties as vice president Sept. 4.