APIDA event uplifts culture

LMC student voices shared
Students+Ethan+Balamiento+and+Heidriani+Nanon+sing+a+duet.+
Angella Dorado
Students Ethan Balamiento and Heidriani Nanon sing a duet.

To celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, LMC hosted an event in the Student Union from 1 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. April 23. Students and faculty were encouraged to attend and enjoy an array of food and performances.

There was a section of tables with varying artifacts that reflected Hawaiian culture and another with paper folding where people could create flowers and other objects from Chinese culture. A table was set with the work from the creators of the movie “Lumpia: With a Vengeance” which was shot locally in the Bay Area.

Both students and staff performed for the audience with traditional dances and songs. There was also a special performance from a local studio that teaches Hula dance to all ages.

Heidriani Nanon who sang a duet of a song he grew up with alongside fellow student Ethan Balamiento spoke about how an event like this brought people together.

“Sometimes you get caught up in not being seen enough,” Nanon said. “Students need to know that they have a sense of belonging not just academically but also culturally.”

Abbey Duldulao who is a part of the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Association describes the event as an important one for students to feel connected to their cultures.

“Being able to be there for students to support them and their culture, making sure their voices are being heard because with their schooling and other activities it’s hard for them,” Duldulao said.

A panel was held that allowed students with diverse backgrounds to share their experiences and love for their cultures. Malia Valencia who helped lead the panel spoke about the significance of hosting an event like this.

“We can bring awareness to culture and celebrate one another and all the diverse cultures we have here on campus is just a blessing,” Valencia said. “I find that the best way for us to get to know each other is amongst good food and some entertainment and we can come together and have a good time.”

Student Atiana Mesui had nothing but good things to say about the day.

“I had no idea they did events like this so I think it was cool to see people of different cultures,” Mesui said. “It is super important for minority students to have representation and have a safe space to express themselves.”