The new normal – Day 41

April 26, 2020

Erick Amaya, Sports Editor

Editor’s note: “The new normal” is a continuing series that looks into how members of the Los Medanos College community are coping with a shelter-in-place order amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

With the influx of negativity that has sprung up with the recent pandemic, Los Medanos College student and business administration major Tamara Muomua has been attempting to keep a positive mindset despite the difficult circumstances. She describes the virtual class transition as nerve-wracking since she is enrolled in 18 units. 

“The most difficult part of the transition is trying to stay motivated and productive,” she said. “Before, I went to many places daily such as classes, the gym, the library and hang[ing] out with friends.” 

The majority of Muomua’s classes involve her major, so it is important for her to keep pace with her assignments. She is currently taking all business courses including Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Business Law and Managerial Accounting.   

For Muomua, group-based studying is the most effective style of learning. With this motivation in mind, she contacted her classmates and set-up virtual study sessions to help each other with the material. 

In addition to her classes being impacted by the Coronavirus, her job as an Outreach Student Ambassador has also been affected. Her position included visiting local high schools to share opportunities that LMC has and providing tours to students during events such as “Career Focus Friday” and “Senior Saturday.” 

Muomua is set to graduate this May and walking the stage in front of her friends and family was something that she was looking forward to. She admits that she is disappointed after learning that graduation would be held virtually.

“I am just grateful to have a way to celebrate our graduation, than not celebrating it all. I understand that it being held virtually isn’t what we were expecting, but I believe to just make the best of it,” she said. “We are graduating during a pandemic, and it is completely understandable to have it held virtually so that we all stay safe and healthy.”

With graduation on the horizon, Muomua will also be transferring this Fall and now feels concern about how the transfer process will play out. She looked forward to visiting her new campus, signing up for different clubs and programs, and making new friends but with on-campus visits canceled, she is keeping a positive mindset. 

“I am just happy that my transfer school has been providing many virtual orientations to speak about all of the resources, and giving us a tour,” she said. 

Muomua continues to learn how to balance her education with other responsibilities. Taking care of her nephew has brought challenges to her because he always wants to play with her. 

“Before the quarantine, he had all of my attention, because I would do all of my homework in the library and have all my free time at home. Now that I am home all day it takes me much, much longer to complete work than before,” she said. 

With the uncertainty the Coronavirus has brought, Muomua hopes that everyone, and their families, is safe and healthy.