The new normal – Day 30

April 15, 2020

Charles Reed, Campus Editor

Editor’s note: “The new normal” is a continuing series that looks into how members of the Los Medanos College community are coping with a shelter-in-place order amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Due to the major lifestyle adjustment everyone has had to make these last few weeks, many have learned to cope with and keep a positive mindset. 

Director of the Student Life and International Students program Teresea Archaga is among those adjusting to this new way of life and adapting to the changes made to her ‘normal’ work routine from the shelter-in-place order.

“It has been an adjustment as I am one to socialize with other people aside from my kids and husband,” said Archaga. “Also, balancing work and motherhood as my kids are not going back to their classes and I have to ensure they are still participating. Having a routine has helped. I force myself to take breaks.”

Something to keep in mind while spending all this time indoors, catching four wall fever, is that there are ways to avoid it. Staying active with indoor activities and fighting procrastination are two big ways to stay positive.

Archaga, for example, said, “I am catching up on reading books I have had on the shelf for a while and watching movies and documentaries that I have been saving. I have been able to spend more time with my kids and my fur baby Max and they appreciate that time and attention.”

Whether good or bad, change means taking a step out of comfort zones to try something new or settle with what one has to get by. Another way to avoid the quarantine blues is to maintain an open mind throughout this process.

“I have been fortunate that I still get to come to campus to provide special hours for the LMC food pantry. That has been helpful in not only getting me out of the house but giving me purpose. The difficult part is that it is hard to have ‘Student Life’ without having students.”