KAC now under operations

Fitness Center offers many opportunities for physical activity.

Krys Shahin

Sarah Stretch, the Kickboxing instructor at Los Medanos College, teaches and leads students in some kick boxing activities, Feburary 6, 2020 at Los Medanos College in Pittsburg Calif.

Bailee Lewis, Staff Writer

As some Los Medanos College students may know, the new Kinesiology & Athletics Complex opened up in November before winter break. The new complex features a fitness center, a dance studio, and multiple locker rooms for athletes. 

Students are required to be enrolled in a class within the Kinesiology department in order to use the new facility. If students have not taken KNACT-110 they are required to attend a one time orientation about the equipment and further explanation on the classes offered within the first two weeks of the new semester. Those classes are, PE-053 Beginning Jazz Dance, KNACT-004A Beginning Pilates, PE-057 Yoga for Health and Fitness, or KNACT-110 Life Fitness Center.

Because of the structural layout of the floor to ceiling windows within the building, allowing each room to be spacious and bringing in a lot of natural sunlight.

“I think it’s incredible. I think it looks like a top-notch university,” said Inter-Club Council Advisor Renee Savage. “There’s so much natural lighting everywhere, it just makes you wanna workout.”

The fitness center has all new equipment including treadmills, free weights, stationary bikes and much more to work out with.  

The new dance studio allows students to participate in different class activities such as Beginning & Intermediate Jazz dance, Cardio Dance, and different levels of Pilates. 

“The dance studio looks amazing, it looks like you walked into the New York ballet practice dance studio,” said Savage. 

Because of the new buildings amenities, its users are comfortable while using the supplied state-of-the-art equipment. 

“The dance studio has new tiles, air conditioning, new vending machines, new everything,” said student Josiah Glover. “The instructors make sure everything is swept and clean which makes the dance program really fun.” 

Staff members are also encouraged to participate in the Kinesiology classes by registering in the following courses  KNACT-110, 120, 130, and 140.