Mustangs kickoff season with victory at home

LMC defeats Reedley College

Back to Article
Back to Article

Los Medanos College Running Back Namontte Grisby tries to avoid the Reedley defense en route to the win.

Cathie Lawrence

Cathie Lawrence

Cathie Lawrence

Jesus Cano, jcano@lmcexperience.com

Los Medanos College’s Mustang Football season opener on September 2 started off with a bang, as on the third play of the game team captain Charlie Ramirez Jr. returned an interception to the house helping to defeat the Reedley College Tigers 35-20.

“This game puts us on the right pace to let us know where we’re going in the future,” Ramirez said. “That [interception] set the tone early for us.”

The sophomore linebacker ended the night with seven tackles Saturday at Mustang Stadium.

Wide receiver Jelani Davis got in on the action also and was a playmaker for the Mustangs. The sophomore had two touchdown receptions from quarterback Sohail Mohsini. The second one got the crowd cheering as Davis completed a one handed catch.

“I ran a bad route,” Davis said. “But then I saw the ball and reached my hand out and just grabbed it.”

Freshman defensive back Antoine Tanner returned a fumble recovery for 60 yards, landing on the 15-yard line. That help set up Carijon Menefee for a six-yard touchdown run and sent the Mustangs into halftime with a comfortable 32-0 lead.

In addition to the offense’s 28 unanswered points, LMC’s defense was able to produce three turnovers in the first half.

The Tigers gained momentum, as they were finally able to get on the scoreboard in the second half.

Cathie Lawrence
LMC Wide Receiver Armon McRaven leaps in the air to catch a pass during the LMC vs. Reedley game.

Quarterback Randall Johnson led the way with an 18-yard touchdown pass to Will McKinnis in the third quarter. This play initiated 20 consecutive points by Reedley’s offense.

Carl White followed with Reedley’s second touchdown on a one-yard trot, while Johnson scrambled into the end zone off a five-yard scramble. Ultimately, it was not enough.

“Everyone knows that in college football you have start fast and well on the road,” Reedley head coach Eric Marty said. “We didn’t do that and the score reflected that.”

After that, the Tigers went silent as LMC started off the season 1-0.

“The first game is always important,” LMC head coach Chris Shipe said. “Our defense put points on the board and our offense was able to gain confidence by seeing that.”

LMC’s lonesome scoring play in the second half came on a 25-yard field goal by Sam DeRenobe in the fourth quarter

The Mustangs look to stay undefeated as they hit the road and travel 171 miles to take on West Hills Coalinga Saturday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m.

For more information on the LMC Football team, please visit http://www.losmedanos.edu/football/

About the Contributors
Jesus Cano, Co-Sports Editor

"There's only two people better than me, and I'm both of them!"

- LaVar Ball

Cathie Lawrence, Sports Photographer/ Staff Writer

I'm very excited to be working on the staff of the Experience. I continue to enjoy my position as a Sports Photographer and Staff Writer...