Be retro, bring back the radio

Start tuning in to your local stations

Ever since taking over my shitty car with a nonworking AUX port and no Bluetooth option, I’ve been listening to the radio a lot more. At first, it was annoying, the seven-minute breaks between music for just commercials were enough to make me want to just sit in silence. But after a few months, I’ve come to enjoy it. 

Some stations are still playing the same music as when I was little, and for some reason it makes me feel cozy inside. I kind of look forward to hearing the radio hosts ramble about things that mean absolutely nothing to anyone, especially about topics that they know absolutely nothing about. It’s fun. 

It makes my mornings somewhat bearable as I listen to the traffic updates that are nowhere near me. There’s just something about it that makes everything feel like it’s gonna be okay.

Though I have my complaints, today’s hits station only plays the same four songs, and to be honest, I am tired of hearing ‘Lovin’ on me’ by Jack Harlow every five minutes. The commercials are so long, that sometimes I complete a whole drive without hearing a single song the whole time. The radio hosts, though fun at times, can get annoying.

However, I have found entertainment in listening to the political stations, which is just Republicans yapping for hours about things I didn’t know were a problem for anyone. I’ve even tried to call in a few times to bullshit and try to piss them off, for no reason besides my entertainment.

It made me think about LMC possibly starting its radio college station. I think it would be fun for students to send in their playlists or requests. Have DJs switch off shifts and get a feel of everyone’s music tastes. I think it could be cool for the broadcast classes, and even music classes to have their project on campus. 

The radio has been a part of our entertainment for decades, and I don’t think it’s right to just let it die out. When’s the last time you’ve heard someone under the age of 40 talk about the radio? 

I think that needs to change, there’s so much substance in a radio station. It’s essentially a podcast, the news, pop culture, and music all thrown into one big pot. There’s something for everyone in the radio world. 

We’ve got lost in unlimited listening, without thinking about where it originally started. Our playlists are what radio stations have been doing for years, and our favorite podcasts started for that reason as well.

I understand not wanting to have commercials, and not wanting to have to listen to someone talk for a few minutes. But it can be fun to experience it again, especially when you haven’t for a while.

It’s time to bring the radio back into our everyday lives and just enjoy not being able to get what we want at all times. If anything it can be a learning experience for us to step back and just enjoy what we have, rather than be on this constant hunt for dopamine at all times.

Spread the word, be “retro” and listen to the radio. Maybe if more people did, there would be more variety and something for everyone out there.