DSPS students need campus activities

DEAR EDITOR:

I’m concerned about the lack of activities for LMC’s DSPS students. I strongly believe something should be organized to help disabled students enhance their learning in a more fun environment, or just simply hosting events everyone can enjoy. Many programs at LMC have things set aside for their organizations to engage fellow students in doing something enjoyable while still learning. For instance, EOPS, Umoja, LGBT, student life, honors, and other programs and groups have events each semester.

I have noticed the lack of engagement and support to help LMC students facing challenges. Speaking from experience with my disability, I enjoy doing things that will help me get through each semester, even if it is just listening to music or motivational speakers that take the stress off my classwork. If there was something on campus, I would gladly participate, but unfortunately, there isn’t an organization that caters to students with disabilities. Some students facing challenges might want to enjoy things at LMC that will help them become more successful, even if it is just a stress relief day before a midterm or a final.

There needs to be programs, groups, or an organization that caters to students with disabilities to give them the ability to be around students who are just like them, socialize with each other, and become more open about their disability around other students outside of the DSPS program. Planning activities, small parties for different holidays, or hosting talent shows and game nights are just some things that will be engaging. This will help them enjoy being on campus as well as getting an education.