Brentwood and Pittsburg campus feel completely opposite

DEAR EDITOR: 

Los Medanos College’s campuses are not being treated equally.

As I continue my second year here at LMC, I’ve taken my spread of classes from both campuses, online and in person, and have much to say about the disappointment with the lack of welcomeness and opportunities that the smaller campus has. During my time at the Pittsburg campus, I noticed the sense of community — morning to night — always people outside talking to others, or events taking place every day. In contrast, the Brentwood campus is beyond quiet, stark with people, and has an absence of anything exciting.

I understand the campus is still new, and it will take time to get things caught up, but it’s almost painful when walking into student commons with nobody there and there is nothing to do. The campus library is just as lonely with a couple bookshelves and a few computers. 

It is hard to feel welcomed and comfortable around there, and I know other students may be feeling the same thing. I suggest planning events in the large student commons, it has lots of tables and chairs that can be used and would be a perfect place to get people on the campus. Another idea I think could help with the problem would be to get more student workers on the campus. So far, I have only been able to meet one in the library, and I think it could get more conversation going on at the campus.