Make student housing a top priority

Plans unveiled last spring to bring student housing to the LMC campus garnered much support from students and staff. This year, with changes to California’s Budget Act turning an expected housing grant into a loan, funding has come to a halt. Without finances secured, little progress can be made to bring much-needed on-campus support to students.  

Vice President of Business and Administrative Services Carlos Montoya said, “There has not been any additional progress with the plan,” and it has now been shared with the “Facilities Master Plan architectural company for review.” 

The master planning process began last spring and is currently in the project evaluation phase where prioritization and funding availability for future projects are still in the air. 

We urge all faculty, staff and students involved in providing input into the master plan to identify on-campus student housing as a top priority. If student housing were to become a reality, the initial state grant under the Budget Act would have been ideal for the college. Now, however, there is no choice but to look into alternatives. 

With new forms of funding as the new reality for projects like student housing, applying for bonds or loans is not in complete control of the district as “any priority project considered as part of Prop 39 bond would be evaluated first.” After, there must be approval by the state and financial offices. 

Before changes to the State Budget Act stunted student housing progress, the project outlined the college’s objectives and long-term needs for housing and it was estimated to house more than 200 students and include a variety of amenities, as well as student engagement and support services. But now, there is no clear timeline for when, or if, the plan will be actively pursued as the overwhelming support the plan had now must be re-evaluated. 

Most community college students only stay for a few years before transferring or earning a degree or certificate, so the chances for those currently studying at LMC to benefit from campus housing are slim. 

The college welcomes a diverse group of students each year who have unique stories and needs, and who more often make difficult choices to take time to study for an exam or pick up extra shifts at work, put food on the table or keep up with regular expenses. Housing support on campus would help alleviate some of that stress. 

When pursuing an education, worrying about rent or keeping a roof over your head should not be a stress students should have to deal with. Unfortunately, that is a reality many face. If this project does not remain a top priority under the facilities master plan, the longer it will be for future students to reap the benefits on-campus housing can bring.