Karaoke fest hits the high note at Los Medanos College

STREAM club hopeful for future events

A music festival hosted by the STREAM club, featuring the Kapwa and Latinx club, took place at LMC on Nov. 22. It was a fun time for all who participated, with a total of 74 students, staff, and faculty attending the event.

The festival included karaoke, music, performances from bands and food. Students, staff, and faculty were able to take the stage and sing their favorite songs to the onlooking audience. 

President of the club Marian Martinez was pleased with the turnout of people at the festival.

“I’m happy that people came by and with the performances at the festival,” said Martinez.

The event started with a chance for students to perform karaoke on stage to showcase their singing skills. There were seven different songs sung by ten students and staff with one duo and one trio group. The karaoke performances included: Justin Bieber’s “Baby” sung by Adrian Gobea and Nathan Platt; Tori Kelly’s “Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing” sung by Teylin Evans-McQuarters; The Champs’ “Tequila” sung by Joshua Womack; Benee’s “Monsta” sung by Evans-McQuarters; MGMT’s “Me and Micheal” sung by Nathan McNeil; Journey’s “Lights” sung by Platt, Womack and Gobea; and Regina Spektor’s “The Call” sung by Michael.

The festival then moved on to musical performances by singers and bands on campus to get them recognized. The performances at the festival were made by Pride Alliance President Jordan Ramey or Venus, who was dressed in a Marilyn Monroe-inspired outfit. Additional performances included a solo artist named The Misfortunates; a band named More Than a Trip; a solo artist named Jerry “The Jerminator;” and a Spanish band named Clase AC.

As performances ended, karaoke started back up until the event was complete.

The entire STREAM club was excited about the event and worked hard to bring it to life. You could see the hard work pay off with the number of people who attended and enjoyed the finished product.

The audiency adored the performances by the karaoke participants and the bands who attended the event. They all wanted an encore from most of the performers. 

“It was dope. I had a great time,” said future LMC student Platt.

“It was fun. I carried the Justin Bieber song we did,” said LMC student Gobea.

“I am loving it. It was nerve-racking going up there even though I come from a theater background. I saw Marilyn Monroe and I always thought, ‘I could do that,’” said Ramey.

The STREAM club was happy with how well the festival went and had some encouraging words for the audience.

“Thank you all for coming. It’s the club’s first festival. At first, we just wanted to get people’s names out to the world. Hopefully, I’ll see some new faces at the club meetings,” said Social Media Representative of STREAM club Evans-McQuarters.

When asked whether they’ll have another festival in the future, Martinez stated, “I think next semester, now that we got the gist of things we can plan for a better and better one.”