A/C failure shut down Brentwood center

Malfunction closes building until further notice

An electronic failure with the chiller used to run the air conditioning at the Brentwood Center has caused in person classes on that campus to be canceled for the foreseeable future. 

Vice President of Business and Administrative Services confirmed at around 11 a.m on Tuesday an issue was noticed with the chiller, prompting Los Medanos College President Pamela Ralston to send an email out to all students and staff. In the email Ralston announced the classes for the rest of that Tuesday, Aug. 29 would be canceled but online classes would resume the next day. 

In Ralston’s email she also announced that repairs were expected to be completed by Tuesday Sep. 5. However it is not clear when the work will be completed according to both Ralston and Montoya. 

“We are working with experts to manage the repair and/or replacement of the parts. We are uncertain when that work will be completed,” Ralston said. 

According to Montoya a plan is still in development as to how to tackle this situation with a temporary solution still trying to be found for the Brentwood center.

“LMC is working to secure a temporary chiller to cool the Brentwood Center, so we may continue serving students, staff, and faculty,” Ralston said. 

However, Director of Maintenance and Operations Michael Schenone explained that the solution to fixing this situation is not as simple as some may believe it is.

He explained both electronic drives that help run the chiller experienced electronic failures at the same time, causing both of them to go out. 

“It’s like getting two flat tires at the same time when you only have one spare,” Schenone said. He also added, “These parts aren’t cheap, just ordering a new one is similar to buying a corvette.”

Schenone mentioned the college is having difficulties tracking down the parts to fix the chiller due to the chip shortage that is still going on around the globe. He was unable to provide a date for when he believes the college will have the parts or when the Brentwood Center will reopen for in person classes. 

According to Montoya, without the air conditioning working, some of the classrooms got as hot as around “the mid 80s.” 

It is uncertain if the repairs will be completed by the Sep. 5 date as Ralston believes, however with nothing functional to keep the classrooms at the Brentwood Center cool, Ralston said, “The center exceeds a safe and comfortable learning temperature.”