Review Crew: ‘A Quiet Place’

Paramount Pictures

Paramount Pictures

Perry Continente, Twitter.com/perrycontinente

Perry says: 

Writer, director and star John Krasinski develops the family of his new film “A Quiet Place” into compelling original characters almost entirely without spoken dialogue. The film’s empathetic approach to character and family may be its single greatest achievement.

So it is unfortunate when the situations these characters are forced into and the way they unfold are so familiar. Beyond the central gimmick of silence, and a tense scene involving a bathtub, almost every plot point is something we have seen before.

That is not to say that the film is not worth watching, it is just unfortunate that something truly special was limited by its rating and didn’t take the chances that it could have. 

Kimberly says: 

John Krasinski’s anxiety inducing directorial debut “A Quiet Place,” meant to be a love letter to Krasinski’s children with Actress Emily Blunt, was well-acted and decently directed and begs the audience to ask the question: Hey, why are you guys making babies during the apocalypse?

You have to dig to find serious issues with this movie. From the lack of dialogue, to casting an actual deaf actress who’s disability isn’t played as a hindrance or burden on the rest of the characters, it just does so many things right.

Another unique aspect of this film was its effect on the audience. If you see this in theaters, you can feel people trying their hardest not to make noise. It really adds tension to an already tense movie watching experience. Even grabbing a handful of popcorn in this environment, seemed way too loud.

There are some scenes that could have been better fleshed out if they were slightly gorier. Gore doesn’t usually make a movie better, but a little more explicit content would have made certain scenes have a more lasting impact.

The combination of performances from Krasinski, Blunt and strategic cinematography is what really makes this movie one of the better modern horror films.