Panties drop March 6

The Los Medanos College Drama Department will be presenting a comedy production called ‘The Underpants,’ a play by Carl Sternheim and adapted by Steve Martin, which will open March 6.

‘The Underpants’ is a play about a German family at a parade for the King in Germany.

At the parade, Louise Maske tries to get a better view by standing on her tiptoes and her underwear falls off while doing so.

Louise’s husband Theo Maske is horrified and worries he will lose his job over the public scandal.

LMC actors Karen Hernandez and TJ Spadini will portray the characters Louise and Theo Maske.

Hernandez, who took her first drama class during her senior year at Deer Valley High School, said this will be her first big role and the first actual comedy that she has done. With only about five weeks of rehearsal, Hernandez said there is a lot of pressure on her.

“I’m excited, it’s a lot of work, I have to be on top of everything,” Hernandez said.

Spadini will play Theo Maske, the owner of apartments, in ‘The Underpants.’ With seven years of acting experience, Spadini is very familiar with what it is like to do a comedy.

“Its very different than who I am. Theo is very by the book,” Spadini said.

Director and head of LMC’s Drama Department, Nick Garcia, said his actors were really excited when he presented this comedy theatrical to them.

“I chose it because it was very funny,” Garcia said. “We had the right actors for it too.”

“It’s a big production he’s [Garcia] putting on,” Hernandez said.

The Drama Department will earn funds from ticket sales for the play.

The play will be presented in the Little Theatre at 8 p.m. March 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14 and 15 with a matinee presentation March 13 at 11 a.m. Tickets for students are $7, and $10 for the general public. The Matinee ticket price is $5 for everyone.

For more information contact the box office at 439-2181 ext. 805. You can contact Nick Garcia at [email protected]