LMC women’s soccer team won Bay Valley Conference

Mustangs end the season on a high note

Juan Cebreiros, Staff Writer

For the fourth year in a row the Mustangs Women’s soccer team won the Bay Valley Conference championship. The team went 8-0-3 in their conference and 9-6-5 overall and qualified them for postseason play. However they lost in the opening round to Reedley College by a score of 1-0, but the playoff loss does not tell the whole story of this soccer season.

Athletic Director Richard Villegas said, “I want to congratulate the student-athletes and coaching staff for a great season,” giving the respect the team deserves for their remarkable season. 

The team won a surplus of awards with Kim Garcia taking home BVC MVP honors for the second straight year. Forward Tatiana Elsea took home Forward of the year for the conference and Sam Nash won Goalkeeper of the year. Head coach Zach Sullivan won BVC Coach of the year honors for the fourth year in a row. 

The team was shaky in non-conference play going 1-6-2, but the team took advantage of a weak conference when it came time for conference play. The team shined with an 8-0-3 record and a staggering +34 goal differential when no one else in their conference was positive. They led their conference in goals, assists, saves, save percentage, and points. 

The players also had amazing individual seasons with Kim Garcia and Tatiana Elsea both cracking the double digit mark in goals scored with 15 and 11. The two of them also combined for 62 of the teams 119 points on the season. Sam Nash played the most goalie on the squad tallying up 81 saves on the season and completing 4 shutouts, and helped finish off a 5th. 

At home the team played well by winning six games and dropping only two. The team saw more struggles when traveling, finishing at just 3-3 and dropping their playoff match on the road as well. The struggles in non-conference play however cut this team’s season short and something they will look to improve upon come next season.