‘Grace and Glorie’ to premiere at LMC

The showing will be on Nov. 5.

Kai Arellano

Daisy Acosta-Campo (left) rehearses lines with fellow co-star Nyla Rahimi.

Kai Arellano, Staff Writer

After two years of producing films remotely, the Los Medanos College drama department  will be on stage once again. “Grace and Glorie,” a story of two opposites who find a commonality and a friendship, will premiere in November. The two-act play stars students Nyla Rahimi as Grace and Daisy Acosta-Campos as Gloria, and is being directed by one of the LMC Drama departments directors, Clint Sides. 

The first play in two years since the pandemic has been a long time coming. When the college closed in 2020 the drama program had to stop everything live and start creating performances on video.

“This is my first official role at LMC,” said Acosta-Campos, who added that she had been in a comedy sketch show called “Shenanigans.” She said having that experience under her belt allowed her to go into this play without too many worries.

The production is currently underway, with lights, sound and crew — prop master, sound designer and stage manager — supporting the actors during rehearsal. 

“This is something I recently joined, but right now it’s going really smoothly,” said Stage Manager Kayci Baylon. 

Baylon said how she hadn’t had as much experience in the program as Acosta-Campos, but she was happy to even be a part of the whole thing.

“I’m experiencing so many things that I didn’t really know about because of the pandemic,” she added.

Sides, who was directing the play, said he is happy with the casting of the two main actors.

“I was very fortunate to have acted in a play with Daisy,” said Sides, who praised the talents of both Acosta-Campos and Rahimi. “When they were both available it made it really simple.”

Sides added that he feels supported by both staff and students.

“I feel like we’re in a very good place for our presentation in November,” he said.

Senior Lab Coordinator Cesar Reyes helps with general support, Nicole McGraw with costumes and MarcAnthony Ponce with sound. 

Everyone working on the play is excited to show LMC their theatrical chops.

“If you come to the play you’ll get to see the results of all these students’ hard work,” said Sides.

“Grace and Glorie” will premiere Nov. 16 in the LMC Little Theater, with repeat performances Nov, 17, 18 and 19. All shows will start at 7 p.m. Tickets cost $10 with high school student ID, $12 with college student or military ID, and $15 general admission.