‘The Forever Story’ is JID’s masterpiece

Newest album makes waves in the rap community.

JIDs+third+studio+album+cover+

Courtesy of Complex

JID’s third studio album cover

John Naranjo, Staff Writer

JID’s newest album “The Forever Story” is a massive success for the Atlanta rapper. His use of new flows and creative word play create an almost new sound which builds as the album goes on through its 15 track playlist.

JID is an Atlanta-based artist who got a sizable following on his debut project “The Never Story,” earning him a spot on the 2018 XXL freshman list. People really got to know JID with his collaboration with J. Cole on “Off Deez”. His flow was fast and baby smooth. The entire “Dicaprio 2” project showcased a lot of what he had to offer in terms of sound palettes and not just bars. 

On JID’s album, a lot of the versatility he showcased on “Dicaprio 2” showed up in spades here. From the rapid-fire spitting on “Raydar” to the smooth soul on “Can’t Make U Change” with Ari Lennox. 

This album is definitely a mixed bag of goodness. One of the highlights from the project would have to be “Just In Time” with Kenny Mason and Lil Wayne. The reversed sample of “Stick” is disgusting, the way Christo & Monte Brooker spun that was crazy and then you got that retrospective cut on “Lauder Too” with Ravyn Lenae and Eryn Allen Kane where JID seemed fed up with the culture. He came from a culture where his art isn’t being appreciated in the black community as much as he would like. 

“I’m sick as **** and I told you mother** no recoverin’ kickin’ up and I’m coughin’ and spittin’ legitimate love,” said JID on the track 15 titled “Lauder Too”.

He seems to be rapping about the fame and success he has achieved up to this point and starts to question the nature of it all. 

Did he get what he wanted when he was dreaming big on the prequel to this track, “Lauder?” Was it enough? Does the black community at large listen to what he is saying and learn something from it? 

This track in particular seems to sum up a vast majority of the themes presented on this album. It almost reminds me of Kendrick Lamar’s recent project, “Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers.” In this album he goes in depth on the idea of having a savior complex and how it dehumanizes the artist and turns him into some sort of messiah. 

The difference between them though is that JID wants to be that savior, not distance himself from that title. However, it is unclear whether that is a good or bad thing.

This album is a ride. It is packed with substance from front to back. It has versatility to rival the likes of Lamar or J.Cole, flows to rival Eminem or Ski Mask the Slump God. He has the whole package and his next project will be highly anticipated.