Student Art Exhibit returns to campus

The art gallery will open its doors again to the public after a 2-year closure.

Michael Benedian

Carol Ladewig holds Tring Ha’s artwork while they talk about it.

Michael Benedian, Staff Writer

There are so many talented artists in Los Medanos College that are hidden among the community. The next person you bump into on-campus may just be the next Picasso, set to shake the art world with their talents. To recognize that, LMC Gallery Director Carol Ladewig is putting together an upcoming student art exhibit that will show some of the best works from these talented students. The exhibit is scheduled to open up to the public on Wednesday, May 4 at 5 p.m. if everything goes according to plan.

This art exhibit marks the first in-person exhibit since campus was forced to close down and go remote. The last in-person show was held two years ago.

“It went through February,” Ladewig said, recalling the last in-person exhibit back in 2020. “We were just closing [campus] when we had just brought work in for the next show.”

From then on, the art gallery was closed and the exhibits were instead moved online.

Around 433 pieces created by students were submitted this time to Ladewig to be displayed in the exhibit. Professor Katie Hawkinson, who teaches at Stanford University, provided her help to Ladewig and acted as the juror for all the submissions. Of the 433 works, Hawkinson picked only a handful of these works to be showcased.

One of the works that were picked is an untitled acrylic painting created by LMC student Paige Cordova. It features a front view of the house across from her street, with a beautiful sunset sky.

“This is my magnum opus,” Cordova said. “This is the best thing I’ve probably ever made.”

Another painting that might persuade students to attend the exhibit is a piece created by Megan Cecil Salomon titled “Ukiyo-e of Uzumaki.” It’s an East Asian-styled portrait of a woman with an exposed eye and a hole on her face. Inspired by popular horror manga artist Junji Ito, it accurately recreates his manga “Uzumaki” and mashes it with a different art style, creating a standout painting that will surely catch your eye.

It’s not just paintings that students can expect to see either. LMC student Trinh Ha’s piece titled “Felt Dumplings” is exactly what it says. Stitched out of felt material, the dumpling pieces can be freely placed in the bamboo steam basket made of the same material, making it a sort of interactive art piece.

The student art exhibit will be held in the art gallery in the Library, and will also be available online for those who can’t make it in person, however seeing it in person can make a greater impression.

“Personally I always think the best thing is to be physically right in front of the work, they’re meant to be seen that way,” said Ladewig.