Virtual concert shows off vocal talent

Screenshot via Zoom

The LMC Virtual Chorale Chamber performing during virtual concert Dec. 7.

Weston Hopkins, Editor-in-Chief

The Los Medanos College and College of Alameda divisions of choral and vocal activities hosted the fall 2020 Voices of Equity Masterclass Recital Monday, Dec. 7. Directed by LMC professor Silvester Henderson and featuring special guest clinician and performer Dr. Phillip Harris, the event was a mashup of previously recorded and new vocal solos. 

With over 65 people in attendance, new president of the College of Alameda Dr. Nathaniel Jones III expressed his excitement attending his first event as president. 

“I look forward to engaging with the campus community and participating in as many events as I possibly can. I wish you all a wonderful evening,” said Jones. 

After a brief introduction from Harris, the show began. Featuring a varying arrangement of vocal performances from students, alumni, Henderson and Harris, the audience listened and cheered as performances started and finished. Though most of the performances were solos, there were also piano pieces performed by Henderson, matched with Martin Luther King Jr. speeches, and a performance by the LMC Virtual Chamber Chorale. 

About halfway through the show, Henderson gave Harris the floor to give advice to the performers. 

“This was really fantastic … Overall there was so much what I like to call ‘healthy’ singing happening, which is a great testament not only to your work but your teachers work as well. I loved it.”

After singing the performers praises and offering advice, the show continued once again. As the virtual curtain fell, the audience expressed their gratitude for Harris’ appearance at the event and the advice he gave.

“What an honor to have been a part of this. Thank you to all the professors, you are very much appreciated,” wrote performer Tracy James. 

If you missed the event and would like to take a listen, you can find the recording on Henderson’s YouTube, along with past vocal performances and other performances from Henderson. To keep track of when the next choral event will take place, you can find event listings on the LMC Music Department website. If you would like to make a donation to the program, please visit their Network for Good donation page, make sure it is designated for the LMC Gospel Foundation.