Lady Stangs lose to Solano after close game

LMC couldn’t get the job done

Jayden Lawrence, Staff Writer

The Los Medanos College women’s basketball team held its sophomore night on Feb. 17, which unfortunately ended in a 60-54 loss to Solano. With this defeat, the team’s record for the season stands at 11-16.

Before the game, both Sophomore teams were recognized, as it was their last game before transferring to another college. A powerful quote read by the speaker said, “88 percent of life is showing up, the rest is up to you.”

Despite putting up a good fight throughout the game, the Mustangs fell short as they struggled to capitalize on offense, and gave up too many rebounds to the Solano team, with Solano finishing with ten more offensive rebounds than LMC.

Solano won the tip-off, but Kyla Maghoney grabbed their first miss and started the game with an excellent pass leading to Megan Ramirez opening the game with a layup. Maghoney continued her excellent performance with a putback dunk, an assist, and a layup to give the Mustangs an 8-2 run to start the game. However, by the end of the first quarter, the Mustangs trailed 14-15. 

Unfortunately, Melody Rafan of Solano was injured towards the end of the first quarter, and had to be escorted off the court, although she was able to walk with the support of the crowd.

In the second quarter, Jacquelyn Munoz got an inbound steal, leading to an easy bucket, and then played lockdown defense setting the tone for the second quarter. Both teams worked hard to get good looks, but the Mustangs fell behind at the end of the period with a score of 24-29.

In the second half, Munoz and Micaela Pentecostes found their rhythm from the three-point line, while on defense, steals characterized the third quarter. With 32.5 seconds left, Munoz attempted a three-pointer, but it was waved off as it was after the buzzer ending the quarter with a score of 40-43. In the final quarter, Munoz found good looks at the three-point line, and Busola Ayiloge swatted a layup attempt, shifting momentum back to the Mustangs. Unfortunately, LMC got into foul trouble, and the following free throws cost them the game which ended with a final score of 60-54.

Despite the loss, the team never gave up and played with great intensity. Defensively, they made it difficult for Solano to win, and this game was a testament to the effort and hard work of both teams. For more information about the women’s basketball team, please visit https://www.losmedanos.edu/basketball/womens/index.aspx.