Folsom defeats Stangs 3-0 in post season

LMC exits playoffs in first round

The+LMC+Women%E2%80%99s+Soccer+team+gathers+to+discuss+their+performance+of+the+soccer+game.+

Erick Amaya

The LMC Women’s Soccer team gathers to discuss their performance of the soccer game.

Erick Amaya, Staff Writer

The Los Medanos College women’s soccer team traveled to Folsom, Calif. Saturday, Nov. 23 to face Folsom Lake College in the first round of the 2019 CCCAA Northern California Regional Championship. The Mustangs were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs with a 3-0 loss.  

LMC was placed into the eleventh seed in the playoff bracket. The Folsom Lake College Falcons were seeded into the sixth position. The teams in the top half of the playoff bracket were placed to play against teams from the bottom half of the bracket. With the Falcons having the higher seed number, they were awarded with a home playoff game, forcing the Mustangs to travel up North. 

Unlike last year, where the Mustangs were seeded as number 16, and forced to play Diablo Valley College to a 1-0 loss in a play-in game, LMC was fortunate enough to not have been in that position this year. 

Having an overall record of 17-4-1 prior to the game, the Mustangs looked to force an upset on the number six seed. Los Medanos College held the majority of possession during the first half of the match. 

The Mustangs conceded the first goal of the match in the twenty-fifth minute through forward Michaela Clark goal. Clarke’s left-footed shot went past LMC goalkeeper Alissa Caburnay. Kalyn Amezcua provided the assist to Clarke’s goal. 

The Falcons doubled their lead in the fortieth minute. Clarke added an assist to stats after a left-footed cross found forward Emily Doty who redirected the ball into the net. 

The Mustangs struggled to hold possession during the second half of the match, and allowed the Falcons to take control of the game. 

After trailing 2-0, Los Medanos College was able to hold down the defense, denying Folsom Lake College from scoring more goals. It wasn’t until the seventieth minute when the Falcons were able to break down the Mustang defense through a goal from forward Sarah Freed. 

The loss to Folsom Lake College eliminated Los Medanos College from the 2019 NorCal California Community College Athletic Association playoffs. 

With five sophomores departing the team, head coach Zach Sullivan is looking to make freshmen additions to strengthen the squad. Freshman forward Anissa Gomez finished Bay Valley Conference with 23 goals, 14 assists, and 60 points. Her goals and points led the conference, while her assists ranked second. 

The Mustangs will return to the field in the Spring of 2020 in four spring games, but will not return to BVC conference play until the Fall of 2020.