An easy win for LMC

Erick Amaya, Staff Writer

The Mustang Volleyball team hosted to Yuba College in the final home game of the regular season Wednesday Nov. 13, and came out with a 3-1 win. LMC was looking to bounce back from a 3-2 loss to the College of Alameda Friday, Nov. 8.

Sophomore Jazlyn Avelino led the game with 16 kills and 22 points. The sophomore’s on the LMC team were recognized in a pre-match celebration. 

The Mustangs lost the first set 24-26, allowing the 49ers to take the lead in earning various points throughout the set. Every time the Mustangs took the lead, they faltered and  Yuba College tied the set to take the lead.

“We played horrible. No intensity. No focus. No sense of urgency,” said head coach Lou Panzella. 

LMC  girl’s volleyball used the loss of the first set to motivate them going into the second set. 

“After the first set, we realized that this was going to be one of the last times that we play, so we left it all on the court,” said Libero Joslin Sadler. 

The Mustangs took the second set 25-9. Avelino led the set with seven points. Early into the set, LMC took control, forcing Yuba College to make many errors and stopping them in their efforts to score. 

The third set ended 25-12, in LMC’s favor. Once again, LMC worked hard to push the 49ers to make errors throughout the set. Sophomores Kristina Salazar and Emily Sobolik led the team in points. 

Yuba College did not intend on the fourth set being the final set, so they battled the Mustangs in an effort to force the match into a fifth. 

Fortunately for the Mustangs, a fifth set was not necessary as they won the set 25-14. LMC took the front foot from the beginning of the set. Avelino and Shelby Bryant scored many of the team’s points through kills in the final set. 

The Mustangs struggled slightly in the middle of the set, as Yuba College attempted to gain control of the match. Avelino, Sobolik, and Amaya Mixon scored the final points of the set to give the Mustangs the set and the overall victory. 

“[After the first set,] we got it together and got our energy up, we were like, ‘This is our last home game, let’s put on a show for everybody,’” said Avelino. 

After the match, the sophomores celebrated with their teammates and families. 

“I’m so sad!” said Sadler. “I love that I made the choice to come here, It’s been the best experience ever. I’m sad to see it come to an end, but I’m so happy that I met all these great people, and that I had this great experience.” 

“It hasn’t really hit me, but it’s sad. I’ve been playing with most of these girls since high school, and it’s sad to part ways, but I’m happy I got the opportunity to play with them.” said Avelino.