Softball walks away with awards

Shortened season highlights team's heart

Back to Article
Back to Article

Softball walks away with awards

Shay Siino rounds the bases against Mendocino College in LMC's last game of the season April 24.

A.R. Broom

A.R. Broom

A.R. Broom

Marc Lopez, @KaptainMarc

The 2019 Los Medanos College softball season was a wild one full of confusion and rescheduling due to a number of rainouts, and despite a losing record a third-place title in their conference.

The Mustangs ended their season on Wednesday, April 24th by losing a doubleheader against Mendocino. The Mustangs finished the season with an overall record of 9-13 and a Bay Valley Conference record of 5-7.

The Mustangs played a total of 22 games, the second lowest amount of games played by a team in the BVC.

The low amount of games are credited toward the tons of rain that poured onto both the softball and baseball field. However, the softball field has more of an issue when the weather doesn’t play along.

Right field does not receive adequate sunlight whenever the weather clears up. When this happens, the mud from all the rain does not dry entirely which then creates a safety hazard for the players.

“It is not easy to reschedule [games] because it affects the players’ classes, work schedules and personal plans,” said head coach Tim Rognlien. “In other words, players that can play on scheduled days may not be able to play on rescheduled days.”

Although the season may have been cut short due to the weather. LMC’s softball players did their best to live up to the expectations they set at the beginning of the year. Three members of the team walked away with BVC First Team awards and three other players walked away with honorable mentions.

The players who walked away with the honorable mention awards were shortstop Alexus Coleman, third baseman Jazmyn Hanley and shortstop/outfielder Hailey Vollbrecht. The players that were honored with First Team Awards included outfielder/pitcher Morgan Billeci, second baseman/pitcher Mary Borlongan and first baseman/pitcher Shay Siino.

Billeci ended her season batting a .507 average, scoring 21 runs and drove in 13 runs while batting. Borlongan’s season ended with her batting a .429 average including 20 stolen bases. According to Rognlien, Borlongan had stellar defense while playing at second base.

Siino ran into a personal hurdle herself during her time with the Mustangs. She struggled with a back injury that eventually got checked mid-way through the season.

“I finally went to see a doctor during the middle of the season and it turned out I had sciatica,” said Siino. “That did not stop me though.”

Siino batted a .514 average which was second in the BVC. She scored 22 runs  and batted in 21 runs. Her efforts on the mound produced 67 strikeouts while pitching in 59 innings.

“I just want to thank everyone that supported me throughout my sophomore season,” said Siino. “And a big thank you to the coaches for putting up with me these past two and pushing me to succeed on and off the field.”

About the Contributors
Marc Lopez, Co-Editor-In-Chief

"I never got the chance to submit my 'senior quote' so here it is."
-Myself

A.R. Broom, Copy Chief

"I'm a up and coming yuppie."
-Raphael Orlove