Nyznyk leading the way with K’s

Standout pitcher Peter Nyznyk is a key reason to the success of the Los Medanos Mustangs baseball team this season.

The 6-foot-1, 165 pounds hurler has been playing and has a love for the game at a very young age, “ever since I could remember, around four or five years old.” His dad was a major reason why he started playing ball. “He was really good at baseball and got me into the game,” said Nyznyk.

His idols that he looks up to are Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw and San Francisco Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum, despite being a Dodgers fan.

Nyznyk life revolves around baseball, he has very little free time to himself, but when he does he spends it relaxing or hanging out with friends. “I don’t have a lot of time because of baseball,” said Nyznyk. Even when he is off the field he mostly hangs out with teammates, admits Nyznyk.

The ace pitcher describes himself as “effective” when he is on the mound. He keeps his composure and just focuses on getting the outs. Nyznyk said he started off as a “get outs guy,” but with hard work and practice he became a strikeout guy.

His pitching coach Chris Bodishbaugh describes him as a hard worker, “he got stronger and better.” His biggest attribute is his demeanor and “his ability to stay on it,” said head coach Anthony D’Albora.

There is a very strong bond between Bodishbaugh and Nyznyk because of how much time they spend working on Nyznyk’s pitching. “He is the best pitching coach I’ve worked with,” said Nyznyk. It’s more than just a player to coach relation, “he is like my son if I had one,” said Bodishbaugh

He currently leads the Bay Valley Conference with 52 strikeouts and dominates his competition with his low ERA of 2.81 according to CCCAA.

Not only can Nyznyk strike batters out but he can go deeep into baseball games.

He is also first in the Bay Valley with three complete games and also first with 67.1 strikeouts.

The pitcher has three pitches that he relies on: his 4-seam fastball, curveball, and his changeup. Out of the three he said that his changeup is his go to pitch and his most effective. Catcher Dylan Bezayiff agrees that his change-up is his best pitch but that he can back it up with a curveball and fastball. Bodishbaugh has another opinion “his ability to pitch inside to both righties and lefties is his best pitch.”

There is a mutual respect between Nyznyk and the coaches and players. “This is the best team that I’ve ever gotten along with, there is no separation between players,” said Nyznyk. He adds that he has the fastest outfield in the league, and his infield is awesome, “I have faith in everyone to make a play.”

Players and coaches know that they always have a chance to win when he is on the mound.

“We are pretty confident that we’ll win for the day when Peter is on the mound,” said D’Albora, while Bodishbaugh adds “we know that he pitches every Thursday and we always have a chance to win when he’s on the mound, all the offense has to do is provide a couple of runs.”

The Mustangs pitcher recently won “Pitcher of the Week” by the California Community College Baseball Coaches Association’s for his outstanding performance for the week of March 11 to March 17. He pitched a complete game and only gave up three hits against Napa Valley. He is the first person from LMC to win this award. “It felt awesome, it felt good to comeback against Napa,” said Nyznyk.

So far, he has an offer from the Butler Bulldogs and he anticipates to get more offers from other schools. Nyznyk plans to play division one baseball and wants to stay in California to play. His dream school to play baseball at is Cal Polly.

The Mustangs are currently on a seven game winning streak and sit in first place in the division with a 11-3 conference record and the ace pitcher plans to help his team continue their winning ways and do damage in the playoffs.