Vote in student elections

As the upcoming election for the 2024-2025 student trustee draws near, it is of utmost importance for students to be informed on the election process and feel engaged with policy decisions. 

Voter apathy runs rampant across the nation. Many voters — especially youth — feel hopeless, that their voices don’t matter, and that major candidates don’t represent them. This encourages indifference and leads to a cycle of inaction that stifles positive change. 

And this is speaking on a national level. Locally, young residents appear even more disinterested in politics, whether it be a city election or something for student government. Disillusionment is understandable, but the reality is that the decisions made by elected officials affect everyone.

Change starts small. It might be true that large, more publicized elections such as the presidential race leave people limited to two candidates or administrations they are impartial to, or even outright disdain, and that voting for a third-party candidate often does not appear significant at first.

However, the small, local elections lay the groundwork for these higher figures and institutions of government. Politics can seem overwhelming and the hostility turns many away, but you don’t need to be a politician or an activist on the front lines to make a positive change. 

Simply being informed and taking the time to vote is a step in the right direction. In electing local leaders they believe represent their views, voters are paving the way for positive changes on a national level. 

On a more personal level, local elections often directly impact cities and their inhabitants, which includes student elections. The future student trustee will serve as a voice for students across the district.

Students must understand the administration that governs them since it impacts so much: their education, the quality of services they receive, the community on campus, and the important changes being made daily. 

Staying updated on student elections offers the opportunity to interact with their officials, and gain a better understanding of why things are the way they are. These interactions facilitate connection and allow students a space where they can offer feedback that could improve the quality of life on campus. 

Above all else, it encourages an environment where students support each other.

The district student trustee election will take place from April 30 to May 1. Information on each of the three trustee candidates can be found on the LMCAS section of the LMC website.