Do we need the Supreme Court?

Tatihn Mellieon, Staff Writer

Anyone who’s watched the news in the last few months has probably seen the Supreme Court pop up more than once.

Ever since the controversial decision to overturn Roe V Wade in June 2022, the mostly conservative court has been under the watchful eye of personal opinion. Because of such intense scrutiny, a simple question emerges: do we really need the Supreme Court anymore?

This question isn’t new, it’s probably a debate as old as if the filibuster should remain in Congress. Unlike the filibuster and its time-wasting the court dictates law, legislation and how we act on such ideas.

One of the most impactful forces in the country, not only does the court have immense sway over the country, but they don’t answer to anyone.

The Supreme Court, written in the constitution, is meant to be the highest court in the country. However, that’s about all the constitution has to say about the court, and most of what we know has been established.

This court is constitutional, with a clear purpose, but the biggest stipulation is if it has maintained such a purpose in contemporary times.

The answer is hard to pin down, as the mere act of the Supreme Court being dissolved is one that would have immediate and widespread repercussions. It would require current cases to be pushed down to lower courts or simply be dismissed altogether, which would remove the top position of an entire branch of government.

These are worthwhile repercussions, as the Supreme Court justices are appointed by the President, then reviewed and voted on by the Senate. The justices, if confirmed, serve for life with no way of removal besides retirement, impeachment or death. 

If the problem isn’t apparent, allow me to spell it out: the Supreme Court does not answer to the people. In fact, the people decided by law, have no control over them whatsoever.

This issue is one that has been brought up very recently, with legislators pushing for an 18-year-term limit to be implemented. This is merely an idea, and the paperwork behind it is unestablished. Meanwhile, the court continues to take on more substantial cases, such as whether social media companies should be held liable for student debt relief.

Regardless of how you view the court, the simple fact remains: they’re the least democratic force in the country with the highest power, and show no sign of slowing down. The morality of a body in government isn’t necessarily the issue either, a judicial body will always be necessary, but the implementation of such a body matters. 

When the judicial branch ends in a court that only answers to its own ideology, it becomes an immediate breeding ground for abuse of power, with the question arising of the will.