Mental health is not a lonely battle

Paige Coleridge, Staff Writer

Good mental health and a strong sense of self is vital in order to succeed academically. According to the National Suicide Prevention Resource Center, mental health problems can affect a student’s energy level, concentration, dependability, mental ability, and optimism, hindering performance. Research suggests that depression is associated with lower grade point averages, and that co-occurring depression and anxiety can increase this association. Depression has also been linked to dropping out of school.

College students have various reasons to experience depression or anxiety. Some reasons might be linked to academic failure or the pressure from peers. When a student begins to feel like a failure, it takes a toll on their mental health. Some students might also feel pressured by peers to achieve more or do better. The overwhelming pressure might cause the student to experience anxiety that could prevent them from being successful. One study found that five percent of students do not finish their education due to psychiatric disorders and estimated that 4.29 million people would have graduated from college had they not been experiencing such disorders.

Students might also feel tremendous stress due to financial reasons. When anybody is struggling financially, it will take a substantial toll on their physical and mental health. Ohio State University’s 2015 National Student Financial Wellness Study found that a staggering 70 percent of college students reported feeling stressed about their finances. Trying to pay for classes and loans may lead to students being in debt. Being in debt may cause a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety. Struggling to afford housing while in college can cause anxiety and malnourishment from not being able to afford food. 32 percent of students reported neglecting their studies at least sometimes because of the money they owed. 

If you’re experiencing symptoms of anxiety or depression for whatever reason there are different resources you can reach out to. Los Medanos College offers resources to help students get care with mental health, financial aid, food, and housing. Los Medanos College understands that supporting students’ emotional and physical well being is vital to academic success. They offer access to resources and referrals to resources on campus and in the community. 

On the Los Medanos College homepage under resources, there are different links for each resource. One of the resources being TimelyCare which provides you with free, 24/7 virtual access to licensed providers for your medical and mental health needs. Start a visit anytime, from anywhere.

In addition to finding resources and reaching out, there are other self care habits you can try to manage stress and anxiety.