The case for a poetry club at LMC

Kayla Anderson, Guest Columnist

People go through hard times. Some are born with anxiety, some show signs of depression at a young age and some act out because their parents were never around. All of these experiences create negative thoughts and emotional issues for those who can’t cope with the issues in their lives. So they push thoughts away, deep down inside their minds and hearts to try and forget. I am here to tell you there is a solution. It may not work for everyone, but it is definitely worth trying. Poetry has been a great outlet that has impacted my mind, body and heart.

Los Medanos College should create a poetry club for students who feel lonely or sad, or want to learn creative writing. If they are interested in figurative language and who know they need help but are afraid to reach out, this could be a good solution.

A poetry club could create a place for students to be free from judgment and give them the ability to use their creative writing skills. Students would have the chance to participate in creative writing workshops and go on local field trips to poetry competitions and spoken word open mics. Reading a poem in front of fellow club mates can help with the fear of public speaking. You learn to free your mind of unwanted thoughts by speaking them into the world. It is not an overnight guarantee that those negative thoughts will be gone, but what is guaranteed is that you’ll feel better — about yourself, the people around you and life in general.

Poetry also gives you the opportunity to tell your story without having to speak in the first-person, so those who are shy and don’t want anyone knowing their personal stories have the chance to speak up and feel heard.

Poetry can help individuals learn about themselves. Sometimes when you write something down it’s a form of growing and letting go. When you write it down, your eyes can see it and when you read it, your brain understands it. So writing down the thoughts in your head can lessen emotional stress.

People have a habit of not dealing with their emotions simply can’t take the weight of that emotion, and that can lead to depression because they’re suppressing how they feel and not giving themselves a chance to heal.

Most college students are stressed out due to procrastination, school work and other outside factors. Poetry could become a person’s “drug,” of choice, that is how addicting it can be. Because poetry feeds your mind positive energy, you end up craving poems. Eventually, you’ll become a good poet, a person who can think critically and creatively, and feel better about yourself because you freed your mind from its captive prison.

Letting go is the hard part — find an outlet that fits your wants and needs and it’ll be easier for you to grow.

When you give students creative writing assignments, students learn how to take in information, annotate it, then give feedback. According to ProudtobePrimary.com, poetry is a part of the curriculum, and it builds reading, speaking and listening skills. To understand something in full depth, you must read it. Some people don’t like poetry until they give it a try.  When students listen to other people reading a poem, they have to carefully pay attention because figurative language can sometimes be hard to understand. That process develops listening skills. Poetry also makes people think harder because it can be difficult to read, which leads to the development of critical thinking skills.

That is why a poetry club should be created on campus. Instead of pushing yourself into depression because you feel nobody listens to you, grab a pen and paper and start writing. If you’re having a hard time understanding yourself — your values, goals, emotions — write everything down that comes to mind, and you’ll see yourself developing a map of creative writing skills and growing as an individual. Don’t you want to grow and maintain a healthy mind? Wouldn’t you like to have a free mind so you can focus on your studies? Do not let depression or anxiety beat you down. Use poetry as an outlet in the dark world to become a better you.