Campus clubs are everywhere (except LMC)

Vernice Steward, Guest Columnist

Have you noticed that both the Los Medanos College Pittsburg and Brentwood campus’ have zilch advertising for club inclusion and no clubs that are of great interest in general? LMC has clubs such as the leadership program, Student Life, or Voyagers Club and a few of “clubs” go as far as paying students to stay on campus and be a part of the school community. But voluntarily, are there any clubs that interest students’ attention? The answer is simply NO.

In high school I was involved in Key Club, which for those who don’t know much about this amazing club, passionately advocates for helping and providing service for the community. I was so greatly impacted by this club that I wanted to further this experience in community college, but I soon found that there is no club that involves many people seeking to help the community they live in.

Granted, many students according to the article “4 Ways Community College Life Differs From the 4-Year College Experience” written by Alexandra Pannoni, collectively concluded that community college is not necessarily a residence to invest their valuable time to making the school a more enjoyable experience. Many students have also concluded that community college is more of a facilitation period to grasp the information they need to learn for their desired major and leave campus as soon as their class ends.

However, what if there was a way to not only develop more clubs, but to also motivate students to have a desire to be present in these extracurricular activities?

According to “4 Tips to Increase and Improve Student Involvement” by reporter Alexander Moylan, he mentions ideas of constructing an informative, effective and simple advertising method to get students involved. There are plenty of tactics to get students informed about outside school activities, but the main component that helps is social media.

Social media is the primary component to publicly involve and inform students about current activities available on campus. Deer Valley High School is a fitting example of how and why students got involved in extracurricular activities. We had a broadcasting network called “DVTV” which informed students on the latest occurrences regarding school functions and, of course, clubs.

If LMC implemented a broadcasting system, filled with entertaining individuals to draw people in and be informed, then there would surely be more involvement not only in clubs, but also in the school as a whole. Also, reaching students through e-mail, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. aids in student involvement. Another way to get those involved in extracurricular activities is to scout and recruit students who are outgoing and willing to express their adoration for making the school more appealing. Having a multitude of individuals convincing other students to join clubs by informing them on the significance of that activity aids in school involvement. One the last ways to get students involved is to appeal generally to everyone by not always involving a club in relation to academics, but to culture, recreation, religion, service, and much more.

Due to clubs being complimentary, it gives many the ability to expand their horizons by joining in on activities they never deemed useful without having to spend hundreds of dollars to be a part of it. There’s something a bit more special in doing things purely for joy without having to worry about a deadline that will make or break your grade.

Clubs are essentially designed to contribute to the school and to the community, and aid in discovering students’ strengths and passions. But with the absence of clubs and extracurricular activities, LMC diminishes the opportunity for student growth.