Achieve a better future

Being in college is an experience like none other. It’s a time where you’re laying the groundwork to your future successes and sometime failures.

With that comes the danger of falling into a pattern of procrastination.

If you don’t use your time here wisely, you’ll live to regret it. First off, as you may or may not realize, this isn’t high school.

Nobody cares how popular you are.

They don’t care what clique you belonged to or how many yards you ran for in a season. Everything and everyone starts with a clean slate. Once you step foot on campus the meter has been reset. Everyone here is pushing towards a goal. Don’t underestimate how easy it is for two years to pass right by.

Act with a sense of urgency, because there is nothing cool about obtaining a four-year degree at a two-year school.  A big piece of advice is to make sure you have a plan. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Remember that.

Meet with the counselors often. They can help guide you in the right direction. Make sure you’re on the right track. There is nothing worse than finding out you blew two semesters taking the wrong set of classes.

So if that isn’t what you’ve come here to do, I suggest you consider how important your time is. In adulthood, it’s all about accountability. Own your failures, heed the lessons from them and move on.

Time flies and before you know it graduation will be upon those who were grinding towards their degree. But for those who slept, partied, facebooked and text messaged through each semester?

A serious wake up call awaits those people, and there is nothing worse than wasted talent. Even worse a waste of time, as time is money and money is time.

So approach your time here with an attack plan and don’t let the distractions of life hinder you. Challenges will come your way in the form of work, social life, or even kids.

Instead use it as a motivation to succeed.  Any victory earned is a lot sweeter than one given.