Attack in the Middle East addressed

Conversations sparked around campus
OpenStreetMap Contributors
Map showcases the region in which the conflict has erupted between Israel and Hamas militants out of Gaza.

Earlier this month, the Palestinian Islamic militant group Hamas invaded Israel by air, sea and land in a surprise early morning attack. Many cities and communities along the Gaza Strip lay under siege as armed Hamas militants ambushed Israeli soldiers and civilians. Hundreds of people have been reported dead, injured, or taken hostage and numbers continue to increase. 

Just hours after the attack, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared “Israel is at war,” and tensions between Israel and Hamas have continued to increase.

People in Gaza, both Israeli and Palestinian, have been deeply affected, as the nearly 2 million residing in the small area experience fear and uncertainty from the lack of resources and being stuck amid the crossfire. Buildings are left in ruins and critical resources such as food, water and medical supplies have been cut off. In addition, a blockade across the Gaza Strip makes it difficult for anyone to get in or out.  

The violence that has occurred since the beginning of October is among the many deadly incidents in the region during the 75-year conflict between Israel and Palestine. Since the state of Israel was founded in 1948, there has been a division between the Jewish majority and the Arab minority. Out of the more than 11 million people in the area, about 80% are Israelis.

The area’s history has been scarred by wars and uprisings, with occasional glimmers of hope. But the conflict continues to be deeply complex. 

District reminds college campuses to stay mindful 

Hamas’s initial attack against Israel occurred Oct. 7, and the events that have unfolded in the Middle East have been felt across the world. 

Just under a week after the attack, Contra Costa County Community College District leadership sent a message to students and faculty acknowledging the “shock and trauma” they may be experiencing, as well as addressing current events and resources available. 

“The suffering being experienced is unimaginable, and our hearts grieve as so many grapple with the devastation of lives cut short, and anxiety over the fate of missing loved ones,” wrote College District Interim Chancellor Mojdeh Mehdizadeh in the joint letter signed by the presidents of Contra Costa, Diablo Valley and Los Medanos College. 

They reminded the community to “be open and kind to one another and be mindful of the multitude of ways that each of us is experiencing this deep hurt and grief.”

In addition, LMC President Pamela Ralston also sent a separate message to the campus to recognize “the sense of confusion, anxiety and worry for the future that people may be experiencing.” 

During these times, Ralston emphasized the importance of keeping a “positive learning environment” and noted that support is available. Resources outlined in the president’s message range from mental health support from TimelyCare, Police Services, Counseling Services and the Basic Needs Program. 

“Our college stands united in our commitment to the power of learning as a response to conflict,” Ralston said. “At Los Medanos, we value ethical insight and diverse perspectives. In the face of such challenges, whether local or global, I come back to the power of our commitment to education and our shared humanity.”

LMC community reflects on ways the conflict impacts

For many, whether they are aware of it or not, current events in the Middle East are having an impact. A variety of voices from the campus community, including students and faculty, share their thoughts on the situation.

“I don’t think there is a singular answer you can give that’s going to satisfy everyone,” said Intercultural Speech Professor Zack Feere, about the Israel and Palestine conflict. 

Feere spent time in Israel about 15 years ago completing his master’s program in Middle Eastern Studies at the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev. His interest in the culture grew and spread into the classroom. 

Based on his experience living in the Middle East, Feere has embedded the history of Israel and Palestine into his course curriculum to provide a “very short, very brief” introduction to the topic and “illustrate ideas of multiple historical narratives, identity and nationalism.” 

Feere described his time in the master’s program as “a wonderful experience” He lived in the city of Be’er-Sheva, in the Negev desert of southern Israel for a year and a half. His work presented opportunities to learn about the vast cultures in the Middle East, develop language skills in Hebrew, and travel across Israel to the West Bank, Turkey and Egypt. 

When Feere began his master’s in 2008, he “felt very safe in Israel, walking the streets at night without any issue,” but it was not until the beginning of 2009 that he experienced a conflict.

“Hamas fired rockets in the south of Israel, Israel responded with air strikes in Gaza, it was known as Operation Cast Lead,” Feere explained. “It was harrowing living in the south of Israel because, at that time, Israel did not have their anti-missile system, which is called Iron Dome… nothing happened to me personally or anyone I knew, but it was a fairly difficult time.”

When reflecting on those experiences Feere is reminded of the current events involving Israel and Hamas. Through social media platforms, such as Facebook, Feere can stay in contact with his friends in the area, and “even the people I don’t stay in touch with, I’m privy to what they’re feeling because they’re posting and sharing posts for their friends.” 

Years after Feere was in Israel, he remains connected to those he met and feels “pessimistic” about the events unraveling. 

He will always remember the power of the country’s unique diversity which looks past outside notions some may have about Israel. Feere described current events as “deeply sad,” and believes education on the topic is important “even if you’re not directly affected yourself, it behooves you to at least have a basic understanding of what’s transpiring.”

To better understand the political side of the conflict, Political Science Professor Milton Clarke shared his perspective on the conflict. 

“It’s a terrible situation. It’s just a situation that does seem more destined to spread into a wider conflict than it ever has in the last 10 to 15 years,” Clarke said.

He also viewed the recent hospital bombing in Gaza as “symbolic of the whole situation.” 

“For me, it’s symbolic of ‘it’s a lesson to be learned about our own political government.’”

Clarke said there aren’t any “good guys” in this conflict. 

“The Israelis have continued to build settlements on land that was Palestinian land which is a violation of the U.N. On the other hand, the want of violence by Hamas is a dead-end street as well,” said Clarke. “Because the Israelis are a pretty substantial military and are supplied by billions of dollars of U.S. aid every year. They’re not going to defeat the Israelis on the battlefield.”

He tries to keep this conflict out of his American government classes because he doesn’t believe the conversations would be “fruitful” or create “insightful discussions,” but he would attempt to mention it in his international affairs class if he still taught it.

“Is that the nature of the foreign policy that we want the government to be behind?” questioned Clarke. “Are we comfortable with the relationship between the United States and Israel?”

He said the Trump Administration didn’t push the Israelis to find a solution to their Palestinian problem. In fact, he said it was the reverse.

“We favor having the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem, which the Palestinians were against,” said Clarke.

He wants students to understand that having other countries enter this conflict wouldn’t be a good thing for either party depending on the side they join. He believes that the war could get even more disastrous because now some Middle Eastern countries are angry with how the conflict is being dealt with.

“Last thing we want is for the Lebanese to get involved. Last thing we want is for the people in Jordan to force their government to get more hardcore, and the same thing in Egypt. These countries have established relations with Israel. We wouldn’t want them to back out of that now because of this uproar.”

The LMC Experience interviewed Philosophy Professor Edward Haven about the justification of the war and he explained that an unjust war is the loss of life for no reason. 

“We have to make sure this war has justification, and that differs from the two sides,” Haven said. 

News reports both sides’ justification for the strikes with Hamas saying they “represent an oppressed people being victimized by the Jewish state,” while Israel claims “Hamas is a violent terror organization.” 

Students across campus also express their thoughts on the circumstances in the Middle East. Conflicts are addressed from both sides:  

Antonio Shelly: “It’s frustrating. People shouldn’t take sides, especially Americans. They are making Palestine the enemy and not Hamas. That is what is being lost in the entire thing.” 

Ali Fetanatnia: “They are both wrong. No one is right. You’re killing innocent people. I’m not saying either side is right or wrong, I’m saying both sides are wrong in their own rights.” 

Nayeli Navarette: “People are acting like animals. How are you gonna kill small children?” – 

Lawrence Cabansan: “I just heard about it, I haven’t read about it. I’m divided. People I know are on both sides so I don’t pay attention.” 

Catherene Blake: “What’s happening in Palestine is sick and inhumane. Palestinians are being stripped of their basic human rights and precious lives are being lost.”  

Noah Finger: “Everyone in Gaza needs to get out. I’m for the Israeli state, I’m not for the regime they are pushing toward the Palestinian state.” 

Ayan Mohamed: As a Muslim American myself, it’s very heart-rending to see people that you’re interpersonal with being subjected to such injustices. 

Amaan Khan: “People are trying to pick one side. I am Muslim and seeing what’s happening to my people is heart-breaking.” 

View Comments (1)