Campus life comes together to celebrate LMC graduates

What to expect for the upcoming ceremony

Aliyah Ramirez, Staff Writer

Recognizing the accomplishments of the class of 2023, preparations for the event continue to ensure the best experience for the Los Medanos College community on the graduate’s special day. 

The graduation ceremony will be on May 19 at 2:15 p.m. inside the football stadium. Students will arrive at 1:15 p.m. for check-in and line-up on the softball field. The event will be general admission, with no tickets required for attendance and no assigned seating, with guests encouraged to arrive early for optimal seating. 

Planning and preparations for the ceremony included a collaborative effort from the Office of the Dean of Student Success and the Graduation Committee led by Committee Chair Dave Belman to bring the event back on campus. In addition, programs such as Admissions & Records, Bookstore, Facilities, Marketing, Office of Instruction, President’s Office, Police Services, Student Life and Transfer & Career Services each hold a focused role in preparing for the big day.

There is something very special about the whole college assembling in one place to celebrate the incredible success of our graduates,” said Belman.

In celebration of the graduating class, faculty and staff incorporated new activities for students, family and friends to enjoy. After the ceremony, guests will be surrounded by music and a free photo booth to capture each moment. 

We have added a few new elements to this year’s program, and we are really excited to celebrate our incredible graduates and their many accomplishments,” said Interim President Pamala Ralston.

After students were notified of their graduation eligibility on May 1, approved students for the Summer 2022, Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 graduation will be at the in-person ceremony. Ralston will announce the hundreds of students at graduation by commencing the ceremony and conferring degrees and certificates for their efforts inside and outside the classroom.

We want our graduates to take this opportunity to see themselves the way we do — as accomplished, engaged and successful members of our amazing community,” said Ralston.

Beginning May 2, graduates can purchase their cap, gown and tassel for a total of $20.45, plus tax in the LMC Bookstore on the Pittsburg campus, with the deadline for purchase on May 12. 

Approved and signed in the summer of 2022, the 4CD Admissions & Records Directors’ group worked on a districtwide project with Parchment to award graduates with physical and digital diplomas. The new Parchment program will come at no cost for students and does not increase the original price the district paid in the past for diploma production. Now students can have both versions of their achievement and access free social media sharing, free replacement for lost or damaged diplomas, tracking availability and duplicate diplomas with Parchment.

As LMC transitions from the pandemic, this upcoming ceremony will be the first in-person graduation after being held online for the past few years. Returning to campus to honor the graduates, those participating can experience it together.

“Graduation is an incredible milestone and celebration for graduates, their families and friends and the entire college community,” said Belman. “I hope that our graduates feel the joy and pride that they deserve to feel on such a momentous occasion and that maybe some of the guests attending the event feel inspired to go to college in the future.”