Men move on to the second round of the playoffs

Stangs hold onto a lead to get the victory

Juan Cebreiros, Staff Writer

The Los Medanos College Mustangs men’s basketball team defeated the Siskiyous Eagles 90-80 in the opening round of the CCCAA Norcal Regionals on Feb. 22 at LMC. The Eagles managed to cut a 26-point deficit all the way to just six points but couldn’t finish the comeback against the Mustangs

The Mustangs started the game with high energy with guard Ramon Bailey hitting three three-pointers in the games opening five minutes. At the same time, Forward Adegoke Adeyemi recorded three blocks as the Mustangs dominated the opening minutes of the game on both sides of the ball. The Eagles called a timeout after five minutes of play but by then LMC was leading 20-6. 

LMC led 31-18 with eight minutes to play when the team went on a big run to end the half. Led by the defense of Adeyemi and point guard D’Montay Warner, the Mustangs were able to double their lead from 13 to 26. Guard Devin Carson started to sink his shots late in the first half, connecting on four three-pointers and giving the Mustangs a 56-30 lead going into the halftime break. 

The Mustangs were in complete control but starting the second half the team was flat. In just three minutes, the Eagles managed to score nine straight unanswered points until LMC coach Derek Domenichelli called a timeout. However this wasn’t enough as coming out of the timeout the Eagles run continued, now outscoring the Mustangs 16-5 in the opening five minutes of the second half. 

In a matter of minutes LMC’s lead shrunk from 26 to 17. The Mustangs didn’t let the lead dip below 17 but they were unable to to grow their lead past 17 points. The teams traded scores until Siskiyous went on another run to get back in the game with three minutes left to play in regulation.

With three minutes to play the Eagles scored nine more unanswered points as the Mustangs struggled to close out the game. The score was 84-75 when Eagles forward Cade Ealy connected on a three pointer to make it just a six point game with a minute to play. 

The Mustangs needed scores to close out the game and Warner was able to provide them by scoring three straight layups to put a halt to the Eagles late push and giving the Mustangs a 90-80 win. 

The Mustangs will travel to Hayward on Saturday Feb. 25 to battle Chabot College with the winner keeping their playoff run alive.