Dead body found on east side of Los Medanos Lake

Aliyah Ramirez, Staff Writer

A dead body was found on the east side of the Los Medanos College lake Monday, Feb. 20 around 1 p.m. while the campus was closed during the four-day President’s Day weekend. A member of the community discovered the body, which appeared to be floating, and contacted the two police officers on duty at that time. 

The cause of death has not been confirmed but the body was that of a 25-year-old male according to district police. After the body was found, there was no evidence of foul play and appeared to have no sign of trauma. 

Further evidence is not available as there are no cameras around the lake to record how the body ended up where it was. An autopsy report will be completed within a few weeks by the Contra Costa County Coroner to confirm further details in the ongoing investigation.

The Contra Costa Community College District Police Department assisted in the investigation and confirmed that the person had no connections to the campus. However, further evidence is now in the hands of the young man’s family and county authorities. 

Due to the holiday campus closure, district police were the only people at LMC. However, the lake stays open to the public “from sunup to sundown,” according to Director of Marketing and Media Juliet Casey, comparing the lake to a “public park.”

Interim LMC President Pamela Ralston sent an email to staff and students Monday night about the reported “unfortunate occurrence.” The campus opened Tuesday, the day after the incident when Lieutenant Ryan Huddleston confirmed: “no evidence to say there was an ongoing threat.” 

The incident that occurred this past Monday came unexpectedly for many, and can still be affecting members of the college community. Resources are available for students with TimelyCare a free, 24/7 virtual mental and medical resource, and employee support through the CCCCD Employee Assistance Program.