The Academic Competition returns

After a long break, the campus tradition is coming back.

Graphic for the Academic Competition from the LMC Student Life page.

Stephanie Arreola, Staff Writer

The Academic Competition, a school tradition that has been delayed since the pandemic, is back.  Returning for its fifteenth annual event, LMCAS is getting ready for some friendly competition between students. 

The Academic Competition is an event held at Los Medanos College to let participants compete against teams, have fun and win prizes. 

Teams of 4 compiled by students will compete in the academic category of mathematics, English, physical science and social science. Winners will receive scholarships that will be distributed between teammates, with the top team winning $1,500, second place winning $1,000 and third place winning $500. 

Teresea Archaga, Director of Student Life, stated that the last one was held in 2019. They were not able to hold it for the past two years due to COVID, but since students are returning to campus, they are able to hold it again. 

To keep the integrity of the competition, they did not want to hold it virtually as there are also a lot of moving parts involved in the competition. 

“We normally have 10 to 15 teams of 4. To date, we do not have any applications, but they usually come right on the day of the deadline, April 8.”

The participants not only get to experience some fun competition, but also, they will receive a T-shirt, lunch, and snacks. They also plan to do random opportunity drawings during the event. 

The event is taking place April 16 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. with regular breaks between rounds and a closing ceremony to honor students.

If you are interested in entering, apply with a team of 4 by April 8 at 4 p.m. to the Office of Student Life. For the application, click here.