LMCAS plans holiday activities for students

The student government at LMC discusses events at meeting.

Photo by Chase Wheeler

LMCAS members discussed event on Monday, Oct. 25 meeting.

Chase Wheeler, Staff Writer

As students return to LMC campuses this fall, The Los Medanos College Associated Students have been busy creating activities to engage with them.

In the LMCAS meeting Monday, Oct. 25, senators voted on funding several end-of-fall activities that will be occurring within the next few weeks. They voted unanimously to fund the Latinx club’s Dia De Los Muertos celebration that will occur on Nov. 1 and 2.

“It is a very important celebration to honor loved ones who have passed,” said Jaime Salinas.

On Nov. 1 an ofrenda, or altar, will be found on the first floor of the Student Union where students can bring photos, letters, flowers, etc. to remember those who have passed away. Members of the community who participate will be given free hot chocolate and conchas, or Mexican sweetbread.

On Nov. 2 the movie “Coco” will be played on the second floor of the Student Union building and after the show, complementary tamales will be available for those present. 

With many holidays right around the corner, some members of the student government decided they would partake in the festivities of each coming event.

Since Halloween is the closest the board voted to give out goodie bags of candy and other treats on Wednesday, Thursday, and next Monday in the Student Union building. 

“I would be more than willing to go out and buy the candy myself,” said Vice President Jefferey Bui. The bags will have a variety of treats from the Halloween season and will be available for all students. 

They are going to avoid foods that are known to be allergens, such as peanuts, so everyone should be able to get a treat that they can enjoy safely. 

The motion was passed by a vote of 11-0-1 with one board member abstaining as they were not present for some of the notions.

With the next major holiday being Thanksgiving, student senators began discussing plans for how to help other students and their families through what may be a difficult time of year.

Many of the senators were enthusiastic about partnering with and helping UMOJA, Honors and EOPS with the annual Thanksgiving Turkey Basket event.

Senator Arthur Pendragon even recommended adding some small winter clothing to the baskets such as gloves, beanies, and scarfs to help those who may be lacking in warm clothes.

It may be held off until the winter holidays, but the student government has more than a few ideas to help keep the campus a fun and helpful environment.