LMC navigates students through 2022 transfer applications

Transfer Services will be hosting workshops and events to assist students through the application process.

Screenshot from Transfer Services webpage

LMC Transfer Services is celebrating Transfer Week as colleges begin to open applications to students.

Sarina Grossi, Editor-in-Chief

For countless community college students, the fall season is a stressful time. Not only do they have to deal with piling assignments while maintaining a balance with work and social life, but students who are planning to transfer have to worry about applying to a 4-year institution. But the transfer application period doesn’t have to be difficult with the help of Transfer Services at Los Medanos College.

Right now, Transfer Services is celebrating “Transfer Weeks,” a two-week-long event meant to highlight certain universities and workshops that guide students through the transfer process. Both the Transfer Day and Night Fairs were held Oct. 12 and Oct. 13, however this upcoming week from Oct. 18 to 22 will be hosting plenty of virtual drop-ins/tabling, appointments and workshops available for all students.

“I am especially excited about the different workshops and panels we’re organizing this year- we have some great options for Art majors, computer science majors, pre-med, everyone,” said Rachel Anicetti, the director of Transfer and Career Services. She also advises that all students who attend set up reminders to not miss any potential opportunities. 

Throughout the week, Transfer and Career Services is open inside the Student Services Building from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays with additional phone appointments operating 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays. During operation, Transfer Services is available to assist students with any concerns regarding applications, schools, scholarships and everything in between.

“Transfer and Career services are available and accessible to all LMC students. We can help students clarify their major and career goals as well as make sure that they are on track for transfer,” said Senior Coordinator of Transfer Services and the Transfer Academy Sandra Parsons. “We are here to help students from their first day on the campus to their last.”

In association with Transfer Services, LMC also hosts the Transfer Academy, a learning community offered to first-year college students. The Academy offers specialized courses, counselors and events to help community college students successfully navigate the transfer process.

Along with the “Transfer Weeks” events, Transfer Services offers application workshops, coaching, counseling and resources for any type of student all the time. Many university representatives visit year-round, offering students a chance to learn more about a specific college or the ins and outs of admissions.

“I know it sounds intimidating, but meeting with a university representative can be so helpful,” said Anicetti, “First, they know your major and your specific requirements better than anyone at LMC— if you want to hear about major requirements from the source, they’re the best. They are also in-the-know about application exceptions and extensions.”

This year, the fall 2022 transfer applications for UC’s opened Aug.1 while CSU applications opened Oct. 1. They both end around Nov. 30, a seemingly short amount of time to submit an application that inherently decides the outcome of a student’s future. Because of this time frame, Anicetti recommends that students complete their applications ahead of time and avoid procrastination at all costs.

“Sometimes applications may take longer than you expect, especially if you’re filling out Personal Insight Questions for the UC’s, or have transcripts from multiple universities,” she said.

Both types of California school systems vary from what they look for in a student. CSU’s tend to look at a student’s general completion of school and GPA while UC’s take a “holistic” approach that takes in student accomplishment. Knowing the difference between the two can make the application process much sooner, especially if an applicant knows what to expect.

According to Parsons, students should have absolutely everything prepared before they even start the application, as going into it without a plan in mind can make the process all the more difficult.

“Students need to know what major they are applying for, what schools they are applying to, and need to know that they meet the qualifications to do so. The best way to do this is to work with their counselors and the resources on our website to ensure that they are on track to transfer,” said Parsons.

She also said students must avoid leaving off any important information or incorrectly filling out the application, as it might lead to a possible rejection letter.

Though the fall application season seems almost unbearable, students can find amazing resources within Transfer Services. Though it’s stressful, seeking out help can immensely impact your progress and confidence as an applicant.

“You are not alone in this process, and everyone around you is just as nervous and confused. Reach out, ask for help, and stay focused. We can do this together,” said Parsons.

To learn more about Transfer Weeks, visit the Transfer Day page. If you are interested in other workshops held by Transfer Services or the Transfer Academy, visit the Transfer events and activities page or the Transfer Academy page.