MESA transfers online

Beatriz Hernandez

The MESA program held a transfer night social event in 2017.

Dante Harrold, Perspectives Editor

During the Contra Costa Community College District’s closure, the Math Engineering Science Achievement program has transitioned its services, which include counseling and tutoring, online. 

MESA Director Nichole Trager is confident in the program’s ability to teach its members. 

“MESA has settled into transition now that we are a few weeks in. The beginning was rough and uncertain,” she said. “Now we have services up and running on a regular basis and things are a little more settled.”

Some students have found some difficulty with the transition due to limited ability to use course-required materials. 

“The largest thing that students have faced is the lack of access. Students have expressed not having a computer, internet, web cam, printer or other types of technology to complete remote learning,” said Trager. “We know that the campus has been working on getting technology resources to our students in need and will be rolling that out soon.” 

Another concern is the effect of quarantine on the mental health of students. 

“I have had many students report loneliness, depression, lack of motivation, anxiety and overall worry about our current situation,” said Trager. “School is stressful enough. To add a pandemic and shelter orders just adds another layer of uncertainty and stress.” 

Trager misses the sense of intimacy that comes with meeting students face-to-face. “Personally, the loss of community is the largest negative that I have experienced with this transition,” said Trager. “MESA creates a large STEM community and I miss seeing my students on a day-to-day basis, as well as co-workers. Building a community online is something that I am working on for our students to keep MESA moving in a positive direction at this point.”

The new online office hours are Tuesday from 1:00-2:30 p.m., Wednesday 12-1 p.m.

Thursday 4-5 p.m. while the new counselling times are Monday 9 a.m.- 1 p.m. Tuesday:  9 a.m.- 1:30 p.m., Wednesday:  9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Thursday:  9 a.m.- 4 p.m., Friday:  9 a.m.- 11 a.m. 

For more information, visit https://www.losmedanos.edu/mesa/center.aspx.