LMC seeks nominations for Chavez award

Yesenia Mendez, Staff Writer

Los Medanos College is seeking nominations for three recognition awards for its annual César Chávez Celebration and Award Ceremony to be held Friday, March 27, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. The reception will begin at 6 p.m. followed by the Awards & Recognition Ceremony at 7 p.m. 

Each year LMC honors the legacy of César Chávez, an American labor leader, community organizer and Latino American civil rights activist. The celebration especially recognizes East Contra Costa County community leaders who have followed in his footsteps when it comes to non-violence, community service and social activism.

“This annual celebration reflects LMC’s deep connection with – and commitment to serving – the East Contra Costa County community,” said LMC’s Senior Executive Assistant Jennifer Adams. “It also provides a wonderful opportunity to acknowledge members of the community who continue the strong tradition of voluntary service and social activism exemplified by César Chávez.”

The César Chávez Award for exemplary community service, established in 1995, is granted to local leaders who have exemplified and committed themselves to the core values of César Chávez. These values include service to others, sacrifice, helping those in need, determination, non-violence, acceptance of all people, respect for life and the environment, celebrating community, knowledge and innovation. Last year, 2019, this award was given to Elizabeth Gonzalez-Sidrian and Nancy Parent.

Rebecca Quiñones was the winner in 2019 of The East County Educator Award. Which is an award given to a member of the educational community who exemplified core values and supported the success and opportunities for students, particularly low-income students and students of color.

“The East County Educator Award was added in 2008 to honor a member of the educational community who has demonstrated a commitment to student success and equity,” said Adams. 

Another recognition award, The Spirit Award, is given to students who have made a remarkable impact within the community in the past year and embodies the spirit of César Chávez. Jose Cordon and Alphonso Guerrero were both 2019 winners.

The Chávez Spirit Award, established in 2001, was added to the celebration as a way of 

“recognizing student, emerging leaders making a difference at the college and, or in East Contra Costa County.” said Adams.

The César Chávez Celebration and Award Ceremony is located at the Pittsburg campus at 2700 East Leland Road, Pittsburg. The event is free and open to the public.

If you or anyone you know reflect these values, commitments and achievements set by the historic César Chávez you can nominate them at https://www.losmedanos.edu/chavez/nominate/. All nominations must be received by Saturday, February 29, 2019.

For questions and inquiries please contact Jennifer Adams, at her school email at [email protected] or (925) 473-7302.