Reestablishing the Brother of Excellence

Providing Black men resources and support through education
Faith Watkins
From right: Yost Kalasa, Andrew Murphy and Antonio Johnson pose for a photo at a Brothers of Excellence dinner.

The Brothers of Excellence program at LMC has begun its journey back to restoration. Andrew Murphy, who is a program coordinator at EOPS, and Daniel Farley, who is a returning student and former BOE member have established a plan for the future by incorporating aspects of the past operations of BOE.

In the spring semester of 2023, the BOE faced challenges Andrew said, “The greatest struggle was getting the word out. There was a lack of guidance. There was no actual point of contact.” It wasn’t until Murphy contacted Farley and asked for some advice on how to bring the program back to life.

The drive behind Brothers of Excellence is to obtain more equity for Black men on campus. Many have experienced a variety of hurdles and struggles when it pertains to education, but seek guidance through those struggles to succeed with the same amount of support as other groups of people.

Initially, when Murphy began rebuilding Brothers of Excellence, there wasn’t much guidance, but with the help from Farley, he says “Every journey begins with the first step.”

One of the primary goals of the program is to build a supportive network where Black men can learn and earn together as many struggle with establishing a solid foundation to build their education. 

With many of the obstacles Black men face trying to obtain their education, they have to make difficult decisions to either drop out of school or get a job. Few have the leisure of having a place where they can stay and collect their thoughts, as obtaining a degree takes time, planning and preparation.

As there is a lack of empathy and compassion towards Black men and their education, having a place at LMC where they can be appreciated and become successful in their educational endeavors is important.

That’s why the BOE is being reestablished, to rebuild a foundation that will be designed to provide more equity at LMC. There has to be more access to funding, career-building events and resources for them. To succeed before and after LMC, education needs to be equitable along the way for Black men attending college.

If you look at the 2022-2025 Student Equity Plan, it’s clear that the support for Black men is disproportionate. A study from the Minority Male Community College Collaborative (MC23) put out in 2014 “highlighted the negative outcomes for men of color in the California Community College system,” showing “African American men, in particular, had the lowest overall persistence rates, credit course completion rate and third lowest graduation/transfer rates with only a 2% difference from being the lowest.

The numbers express the facts, not opinions about the lack of support, as rebuilding the BOE will be a foundational start for any Black man. It will help bridge the gaps of inequitable education and conversations that are being had about these men behind closed doors.

Capturing the experience as a Black man attending LMC has been promoted and advertised publicly for everyone to see, but with provided support, more men will achieve excellence in their education and future careers. If you are interested in the program, contact Andrew Murphy via email at [email protected] or call at (925) 473-7485.