LMC students honored for their hard work

103 scholarships awarded at ceremony

Maria Sanchez

Classified Senate President BethAnn Stone presents scholarship to Ahiza Avalos

Maria Luisa Sanchez, Staff Writer

Students received 103 scholarships at the 2023 Scholarship Awards Ceremony May 4 in the Student Union Conference Center. Families, friends, scholarship donors and LMC Foundation members attended to honor the scholarship recipients.

“We are delighted to acknowledge your accomplishments,” said Interim Foundation Program Manager Leetha Robertson to the audience at the start of the ceremony.

According to financial Aid Scholarship Program Specialist Beverly Bui, there were about 30 different scholarship opportunities for students, each with different requirements determined by those who created the awards.

“It is nice to see all the students and their families and to be able to celebrate in person and give them a certificate in person,” said Bui. “Last year we had to mail many of them to the students because they were not able to be here” because of COVID.

In opening remarks, Interim President Pamela Ralston highlighted the students’ success.

“You are here celebrating the grade that you’ve earned, the life that you ‘ve lived,” she said. 

Ralston singled out Elliette Bustos Barocio for winning the prestigious Kent Cooke Scholarship (see story this page), among other awards. Bustos was also one of two recipient speakers.

Amye Louise Elbert, an art major, was the other speaker highlighted at the ceremony..

“I did not have the opportunity at young age but I refused to let the past define my future or give up on a dream I had to be a middle school art teacher. This scholarship is a symbol of the hope and encouragement that it will help me to continue overcoming obstacles.”

Student Saidy Aceituno Barrientos won a half dozen LMC scholarships, among them the scholarship for Successful CSU Transfer and the Dean S. Lesher Scholarship. But she is also the recipient of another prestigious community honor, a Kennedy-King Scholarship. She will be honored at a separate ceremony May 12 at the Concord Hilton.

Some in the audience were overcome with emotion. There were tears in Aiza Avalos’ mom’s eyes as her daughter’s name was called to receive a Transfer Academy Scholarship.

“I am usually a tough mother, but when you get to this point where all the hard work pays off, and I see all the hard work she has done since high school,” Ana Richkardday said. “I am very proud of her.”  

This scene of pride from friends and family was repeated many times as other students received scholarships to help them continue their educational journey.