Tesla Representatives present opportunities for LMC students

Technology programs prepare for work outside the classroom

Juan Cebreiros

ETEC Professor Russell Pederson gives a demonstration to Tesla reps about what students learn in his class.

Juan Cebreiros, Staff Writer

Tesla representatives visited the Los Medanos College Pittsburg campus to talk to students about job openings at Tesla factories, including one in Fremont. They toured the different labs of the technology programs offered at the LMC campus on Thursday, April 4 to get a sense of what students are learning and how ready they are to jump into work after receiving their degree. 

“We were really just gauging the talent pool and seeing what you guys do here,” Tesla representative Emily Fuerta said on what they were looking for when coming to LMC.

Throughout the tour, representatives were able to see what an electrical or automotive student learns during their time on the campus, with most leaving the tour believing the skills they learn at LMC will directly translate to their work at Tesla. 

“All of the fields caught our eyes, if you can understand a circuit or hydraulics you can understand one thing we do and we can teach you something else,” representative Clarence Lillard said. 

The technology programs at LMC have graduated students who went on to work for Tesla with professors explaining that they teach not just to have a student pass a class, but to also be prepared to work immediately after graduating. 

“We cover a lot of the hands-on and actual practices from the industry being that a lot of these teachers have held this type of job in the industry,” Electrical and Instrumentation Technology teacher Russell Pedersen said. 

A company like Tesla is making continual strides to improve and advance technology every day, but technology professors at LMC are not worried about students falling behind technologically in the classroom. 

“You’re still using screwdrivers and wrenches and pliers. You’re still removing equipment and putting equipment in,” said Pederson.

“We teach fundamentals in the Process Technology area. They mentioned that critical thinking and troubleshooting are important, so you use fundamental knowledge to do those things and they can be adjusted anywhere where things are made and manufactured,” said Process Technology professor William Cruz. 

Tesla representatives gave a presentation about how students can apply for the different hands-on jobs for the company ranging from internships to entry-level. They also mentioned ways to make it easier for students to get to and from work with carpools using company cars and shuttles to come and pick them up. 

“With the standard education you get here from any of the facilities, it’s the baseline that gets you into the door at any of these companies,” said Pederson, “the pathway is wide open for any student that completes any of these courses.”