LMC Vice President announces retirement

Natalie Hannum steps away after 10 years

LMC Vice President Natalie Hannum

Juan Cebreiros, Staff Writer

Vice President of Instruction Natalie Hannum announced she will retire, following the current spring semester. After 34 years of public service between her years as a firefighter and a member of education, Hannum wants to spend time with her family and enjoy her hobbies while she can. 

“I want to spend more time with my family and certainly outdoors while I still have youth on my side,” Hannum said with a chuckle.

Hannum first joined the Los Medanos College community in the summer of 2013, where she became the Dean of Career Technical Education and Social Sciences. She would hold this position until 2020 when she would be promoted to Vice President for Instruction at the college. 

“She led faculty across the college and staff in the Office of Instruction through the most complicated period in the college’s history,” said Interim President Dr. Pamela Ralston on Hannum. 

Hannum said she is undecided about where she will move once retired but plans to stay in the LMC area for at least the following year. She adds adjusting to retirement life will be no problem for her once she gets into a routine.

“I have a lot of hobbies and one of the things I want to do is indulge those hobbies a little bit more,” Hannum said. 

After spending over 30 years between time as a firefighter and worker in education, Hannum has no plan of slowing down once she starts her retirement. 

“I have a whole list of things that I want to accomplish once I’m retired,” Hannum said. 

Ralston said she was sorry to hear about Hannum’s retirement, but she is excited to see what the next chapter of Hannum’s life will look like. 

“We are grateful for her contributions to the college. She deserves a fabulous retirement, and I’m sure it won’t be a quiet one,” said Ralston.

Hannum’s retirement will leave an open position come her retirement date Monday, July 31 and a plan is already being devised to find her replacement. “We will be opening a recruitment very soon for an interim Vice President of Instruction, and the search will be open to both internal and external candidates. We plan to have someone available to step into the role later this summer,” said Ralston.