Things to know about LMC’s travel program

Discover new opportunities

Sofia Morelos, Staff Writer

The Los Medanos College Travel Marketing Program offers flexible and exciting learning opportunities for students through a completely online course. Travel marketing professor Chris McGill describes the program’s “several strengths,” built upon “stability, respect, and accreditation.”

Online classes are interactive as students actively communicate and share information with instructors, who hold years of experience in the industry. Additionally, students are allowed to learn from industry experts who visit as guest speakers.

“Travel never loses its allure. It is exciting, and there is always something new to learn,” said McGill. “Our students have diverse backgrounds and are eager to learn and share their experiences. Enthusiasm runs high in travel classes.”

Aiming to help students reach their goals and better prepare for future careers, the Travel Program provides them with the tools to succeed. Students learn about fundamental travel concepts such as technology and research, customer service and information application to the real world.

“There is a great deal of satisfaction when graduates tell us that they were well prepared to work in the industry,” said travel marketing professor Debbie Wilson.

The program has been offering classes online since the fall of 2007, with a variety of classes ranging from 1.5 to 3 units and organized by semester. 

The first semester offers four classes: Travel 72: Introduction to Travel, Travel 76: Sales and Marketing, Travel 82: Cruising and a Destination class based on a student’s expressed interest. Classes travel around North America to the Caribbean, which can be taken as an elective or a fulfillment of special requirements. 

The second semester offers two classes: Travel 95: Advanced Travel Concepts and Travel 77: Customized Vacation Planning, with electives that must be taken to meet certain requirements.

Teaching students real skills in their personal lives, professor McGill says “some of them have been regularly researching and arranging travel for themselves, friends, and family.” Showing how the learning of new skills is reflected by a student’s motivation inside and outside the course. 

“The Travel Program has absolutely helped me in my personal life,” said student Ashley Bee. “It has mainly helped with how to rent cars properly and what to expect when traveling to different countries. I feel much more confident in booking my vacations myself now.”

Enrollment for the course has begun to increase since the pandemic as people are excited to start traveling again. Global tourism in 2023 is predicted to reach approximately 80% to 95% compared to levels in 2019 according to a Bloomberg article published in early January. 

“As tourism ramps back up, the opportunities for travel advisors will continue to increase,” said Wilson. “Now is a great time to prepare for a career in travel.”

The curriculum teaches students to not feel restricted to one type of career. As there are many opportunities within the travel industry such as airlines, tour companies, travel agencies, car rental companies, the lodging industry and convention and meeting planning. 

“I absolutely would recommend the Travel Program to anyone interested. It is a wonderful opportunity to find out if this is the path for you or not,” said Bee. “Even if you do not want to pursue a career, it can help you quite a lot with your own personal travels. The teachers are here to watch you succeed and the course load is really nice most of the time.” 

If you are interested in learning more about the Travel Marketing Program, please contact Deborah Wilson at [email protected] or Chris McGill at [email protected].