Experience guide to Proposition 28: Arts and music education funding

Jaden Fortier, Staff Writer

Editor’s note: With the upcoming Midterm Election on Nov. 8, there are a handful of propositions for California voters to consider. Despite the brief explanations on the ballot, they can still be confusing for people who have no idea what they are or what will be changed if they vote yes or no. These are important decisions that will affect many Californians. This is the fourth of seven summaries that will give voters more information on what the proposition is and what are the pros and cons that come with them.

With the 2022 midterm elections coming around the corner on November 8, California has seven propositions prepared for ballots this year. Of these seven propositions that will be on these ballots, one can make a major change in arts and music education departments.

This would be prop 28, which would guarantee that there would be an allocated amount of the state’s budget to go towards public schools and community colleges arts and music programs. At least 1% of the funds that come from prop 98, which sets the minimum percentage of the state’s budget that can be spent on K-14 education as a whole, would be used specifically for art and music departments.

This includes things such as spending more money on music and art instructors, as well as just overall spending going to this part of education. School districts will be required to post annual reports that show exactly how the money intended for music and art funding is being used. An estimated 1 billion dollars will be allocated for art and music funding.

Eric Sanchez, who is a professor working in the art department at LMC, supports the idea that the allocation of funds for art and music programs is necessary.

During the pandemic, things like Netflix, working on crafts and using their creativity, which all things people used to express themselves in an artistic way, were the things that got people through the pandemic, said Sanchez.

“There is a human and innate desire to create and spark that creativity,” Sanchez said.

More financial resources given for arts and music education allows for others to express that artistic ability. While Sanchez is mainly in support of prop 28, he has some concerns for it as far as who this prop is really going to be benefiting.

“I think you’re going to run into the rich who will get a more substantial benefit to the arts and those that are in more hardship communities…would get hurt with this sort of thing,” said Sanchez.

The proposition was first launched by former Los Angeles Unified Superintendent Austin Beutner as a way to make the arts more of a core subject alongside math, science and reading classes. Beutner was moved by conversations arts and music educators had during his time as superintendent, and recognized how arts and music are the first programs negatively impacted when school budgets are cut.

Down below are links to the other six proposition guides which will help you get an understanding:

Proposition 1: Constitutional right to reproductive freedom

Proposition 26: Allow sports betting at tribal casinos

Proposition 27: Allow online sports betting

Proposition 29: Impose rules on dialysis clinics

Proposition 30: Tax millionaires for EV and wildfire funding

Proposition 31: Uphold flavored tobacco ban