Farmers give yoga a twist

Back to Article
Back to Article

Farmers give yoga a twist

Lilly Montero, @Lilly_Montero3

“I will not be offended if you don’t stretch. I know you’re here for the goats,” Gina Bravo, the yoga instructor said.

The class laughed. They were there for the goats.  

First Generation Farmers, one of the few organic non-profit farms in East Contra Costa County, has been putting on baby goat yoga sessions throughout the summer. The yoga class is just like any other — a calm setting, with meditative breathing, and lots of mountain poses — but with a side of running, cuddling and the bleating of baby goats.

Aside from providing the occasional pellet, the four-month-old goats Mocha, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger and Hollie also provide an upbeat and open atmosphere not often found in traditional yoga settings. An aspect of the class that makes for a novel experience.

“It was quiet and you could hear the birds and there were goats — it was just, like, a unique experience,” participant Heather Luna said of the Aug. 31 class.

Novelty is something the organizers of First Generation Farmers are aiming for. In addition to raising money for their educational programs, they hope that baby goat yoga acts as a way to get the community’s “foot in the door” to learning more about farming.

“Our main mission… is to educate our community and make sure that they have sustainable access to organic foods and just get people back outside and in the dirt,” said farm manager, Krista Miloslavich.  

First Generation Farmers is geared to educating potential future farmers and engaging the community in what many consider to be the “backbone” of society, Miloslavich said. Noting the aging farming community, Miloslavich emphasized the importance of getting people involved in traditional and not-so-traditional farming experiences.

On the not-so-traditional farming side of things lands baby goat yoga. The event is a new one that began when Bravo was struck with an idea after seeing images of the baby goats on the organization’s instagram.

“I know it sounds weird, but would you like to try goat yoga?” Bravo said when she called. The rest is history.

Since beginning the class in June the turnout has been exciting, according to both Miloslavich and Bravo. People have come from all around the East Bay and San Francisco area to do yoga with the baby goats.

“I feel very empowered watching these women, and sometimes men, just taking the time to heal themselves and also have fun,” Miloslavich said.

The classes will continue until late October and will return again when more baby goats are born in the Spring. For more information students can go to firstgenerationfarmers.org or web search the event for tickets.